• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

having problems cutting magnetic material on a mimaki cg130fx

I've searched through the forums and didn't see an answer to my particular question.

No matter how high I raise the blade it seems to scratch/cut the surface of the print as the plotter head finds the registration marks.

I normally don't run magnets through my plotter but the end product would look better with a contour cut. I can do it by hand but the plotter (if I can get it to work) would probably do a better job.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

TheSnowman

Every person I talked to said NEVER cut magnets with my Mimaki...but that was just all the salesmen I talked to...

DigitalBBQ

Change your blade to 60 degree blade. Also you may want to use 20 mils magnetic sheet instead of thicker one.

You can also print registration mark on vinyl, then apply onto 20 mils magnetic sheets, then bring it to your cutter with 60 degree blade install, and set the cutting speed rather high instead of slow cutting.

It won't cut through completely, but if you pull it apart, and finish it with xcto knife is a much better than doing it by hands entirely!

Mosh

Cutting mags and even printing them is HARD on equipment. We only offer square cut and cut them on our media cutter. We also print on film and apply to the magnetic, we never run mag directly through our printer. Mag is just too heavy and wears on machines.

Case

you can put tables on both sides of the plotter to help with thicker materials buckling......obviously the tables would have to be as tall as the plotter..........i have done it and it works and prevents the scratching on the media surface.......obviously you would be cutting sheets and not off a roll in doing the table thing...........

but i agree, magnet is rough on a friction plotter......

i also agree that I would not ever print on magnet on my printer... some people may make it work, but to me it is not worth the risk or babysitting or hassle........... i don't care if there is a digital printable magnet, it is not for me and i do not recommend it...

case

Last edited:
It sounds like it might be a bigger PITA than it's worth. I'll cut it square and round the corners or contour cut it by hand.

Thanks,
Chris