• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HD Video Camera Recommendations

jasonx

Anyone got any recommendations? I want to record videos to post on you tube in HD.

Looked at a lot of reviews and they all seem to contradict themselves.

cgsigns_jamie

What's your budget?

You're probably looking for a dedicated video camera but...

I have a Canon 5DII which is a DSLR still camera but it also records HD video, and does an amazing job at it.

Here's a website with more info about using the 5D for video.

Canon also has a few lesser priced options that are great still camera's that record amazing HD video.

TheSnowman

I bought a HD Kodak camera. I think it's an easy share, but just the digital video kind. Takes amazing outdoor video, and not bad indoor. It doesn't have image stabilization though. So if you aren't using a tripod, you need to be pretty steady. It captures to a SD card, and it has a built in USB that just pops out, and you can plug in and drag the files over. I love it. Not bad for $60. They are on woot.com occasionally.

tanneji

I use a sanyo xacti. I can't remember the model number but its fantastic. Pistol grip and very small. Takes videos and photos (photo quality not great but suitable) and the video camera has a built in image stabilizer that works great. Brand new was around 200 but now you can probably get it for 150 or so. I think it is the xacti vp-10. Great great camera for cheap.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sanyo-VPC-CG10P/10965601?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440131183972

This is the one ... mine's black not pink haha

Last edited:

acothran

At my last job I shot a lot of video and did tons of editing, animation, etc... A few months ago I purchased a Kodak Zi8 on sale at Target for $159 to just keep around the house and shoot videos of my kiddos. I looked at the Kodak and the Flip but the Kodak won in my opinion, mainly because you can shoot different resolutions (1080p, 720p, 480SD, & even 5MP still pics, but the still pics suck). Outdoor and in good lighting it does a nice job (I normally shoot at 720p). GREAT for YouTube and such. If using indoor it helps tons to have a bright room to keep the video from being grainy. Reviews I've read though say the Zi8 is one of the better at low-light for the <$200 camcorders.

If you want something more substantial and might use it to display on a large display (i.e. 50" LDC TV), you might want to look at something like the Canon HV40 (mini-DV tape storage around $800) or the Canon HFS10 (Flash based storage around $1,000) which will perform much better in low-light and give you a better image due to larger image sensors and lens (larger than the pocket HD models like the Zi8).

Finally, there are some digital cameras out right now that shoot some pretty amazing looking video. Two that I've seen are the Canon G10 and the Canon 5D SLR. I own the Canon G5 (six year old 5MP camera) and the G series have always taken good photos. The 5D is expensive but an amazing camera and camcorder (for samples, check out this video).

Sorry to be so long winded. I do realize your in Australia and the pricing I listed is US so that might be a bit different. Bottom line is you can spend <$200 (USD) and with good lighting, get really nice looking video for YouTube. Hope this helps.

Allen

veloxgraphics

Target has a "flip-esque" Sony HD camera on clearance right now. Records in 1080p to solid state media (flash memory). I believe it was $120. Looked better built than the flip and had a microphone jack which is good because none of these cameras have decent audio recording.

Nevermind, missed that u were in AUS

Last edited:

jasonx

Hey guys,

Budget around the $2000 mark. Don't think I can squeeze in a high end Digital SLR for that much.

Things like the Canon HV40 of the SF11 or the Panasonic HMV40. Haven't really looked into other models.

Allen thanks for your post thats informative and along the lines I was looking. My last camera was a stand definition mini dv canon. MVX10i I think was the model.

I've seen the flip hd camera. Probably looking for something I can maneuver a bit better :p

Malkin

Regarding DSLR's, The Canon T2i is due out this spring with full HD video. I have a T1i which also does HD video but with a reduced frame rate. The going price will probably be around the $900-$1000 mark.

If I had a budget of $2K and was considering a DSLR for it's viseo capabilites, I might spring for the 7D (around $1800 with kit lens). Full HD and manual controls, plus a host of other features.

Sorry, I'm no help with regular video cameras.

jasonx

Regarding DSLR's, The Canon T2i is due out this spring with full HD video. I have a T1i which also does HD video but with a reduced frame rate. The going price will probably be around the $900-$1000 mark.

If I had a budget of $2K and was considering a DSLR for it's viseo capabilites, I might spring for the 7D (around $1800 with kit lens). Full HD and manual controls, plus a host of other features.

Sorry, I'm no help with regular video cameras.

Hey Malkin,

I wasn't aware that lower end DSLR had full hd capabilities. I thought DSLR's were in the 4-5k mark. I will look them up now.

Malkin

Yeah it looks to be a great camera. I would have bought one for myself, but decided on an L lens instead.

cgsigns_jamie

Ahh yes... the camera body is just a small potion of the investment... it's the lenses that'll eat up the budget.

Jason, you certainly can't go wrong with the 7D. It's a fantastic camera.
Check out this site for reviews on Canon DSLR's. They even have a great forum for users of Canon cameras that may be useful to you.

Fuzzbuster

A cheap hd video camerra will outperform a dslr for video anyday

the antivibration and portability are WAY BETTER with a cheap hd dedicated camera IMHO

I own a few dslrs and a few dedicated hd video... that do both

YES I can use my assortment of lenses with dslr`s but not really practical

my newest purchase 2X HD GoPro Hero portables

will try them on our planes next summer

cheers

jasonx

Hey Guys,

I've been doing my research on the Canon 7D.

I think I am going down that route.

The downside of the 7D for video is:

12 minute recording time in a single go. So if your doing long stuff you will have pauses in your video.
The audio is pretty shit but can be fixed with third party devices.
Cause of the sensor rendering from top to bottom if you pan really fast the image will be skewed like this / / / / / / instead of | | | | |.

But for what I want it for the quality is great and I can use it for still photos as well.

Fuzzbuster is right in terms of stability etc but this can all be improved with third party accessories.

One resource I purchased to help educate me was Phillip Blooms DVD on the Canon 7D. It basically covered everything and I'm happy to compromise on a few things.

Most of the videos I will be doing are for work so will be on a tripod etc so isn't a huge concern for me.

Thanks again for all your help.

Also a good website I found was dvinfo.net has a lot of information on there also.

Sabre

It's not really the caibre of the budget you're looking at... but I bought a Canon HF-S100 earlier this year and have been extremely happy with it :)