• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDU Installation on A Wall

CanDoASign4U

I have a 2' x 2' 1½" thick HDU to be hung on an exterior wall. There is a sandblasted sign presently installed and this sign will be replacing it. Unfortunately that sign is smaller but it was hung flat against the wall without any signs of warping. The sign was installed using holes drilled in the foam, anchors in the wall and then rounded dowels used to fill in the holes. Pretty cool idea and a great look.

Everything I currently read warns of the HDU warping if installed this way and suggests that brackets be used instead. I had thought about using "L" shaped brackets on the top and bottom and minimizing how much they will show by putting part of the L underneath the sign. That will mean that the sign will stand off the wall the thickness of the aluminum. I'm curious if this will risk warping even more or if anyone has any better input or suggestions based on their personal experience?

:thankyou:

Last edited:

letterman7

I've never had HDU warp at any thickness greater than 1/2". I'd put two length of angle aluminum on the wall with one leg hidden by the sign and slip the sign in between. A couple of screws through the top and bottom angle into the foam about 3/4" and call it done.