• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDU Spoilboard?

johnnysigns

Anyone try and use HDU as a spoilboard material? I'm having a hard time finding LDF locally or through my usual suppliers.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We tried MDF once. Milled both sides, but it was only moderately usable. It worked, but definitely had to be more watchful because pieces tended to move more readily than with LDF. But as I mentioned in another thread, our CNC is pretty old so maybe a newer machine would do better.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We use MDF from Home Depot. We do paint the sides before use, but otherwise just use it as we get it.

johnnysigns

We typically use cheaper MDF or the Trupan LDF, but I was having a hard time finding it initially. I got a supplier nearby to order some 1.5" thick sheets for us. Thanks for the responses.

RetepK

Anyone try and use HDU as a spoilboard material? I'm having a hard time finding LDF locally or through my usual suppliers.
HDU is closed cell foam there for it will not work at all. If you can imagine a block of pingpong balls glued together that's what HDU is like, closed cell.

johnnysigns

I only brought up HDU as I'd heard one of the tech's that setup our CNC initially talk about HDU being an option. The cost alone from using HDU is already pretty steep. We use a Busch Mink 1252 AV vac on our AXYZ 4010.

johnnysigns

Harbor Sales sells Medex MDF which is really some of the densest MDF I've used. We make a lot of jigs and fixtures out of it, but I didn't want to use that for a spoilboard given our Vac's only 9-10hp. I didn't think we'd get enough pull through the material after milling the faces off both sides.