• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head change - DIY video?

Colin

I just purchased a new DX4 head for my Roland SP-540i (+ caps & dampers) and am wondering if anyone knows of a good DIY tutorial video for doing this on this specific printer.

TXFB.INS

We found this video when we were replacing our VS print head.

[video=youtube;3zMVaL5DtjA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMVaL5DtjA[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin

Just one more try to see if there’s a video or tutorial of any kind specific to my SP-540i for head replacement (those two listed above seem quite different - but thanks). I bought the head and all other related parts from China a few months ago, and a service rep near me won’t install it, as they are governed by Roland to only install their own OEM parts. When I explained that there is only one manufacturer of these Epson DX4 heads, he said they have different degrees of quality control; Roland gets a certain amount of the top percentage of QC’d parts, then the next company, then the rest go to aftermarket. He also said that sometimes they work fine, sometimes they blow boards, so not something he can be a part of.

I don’t know if all that is true or not, but I had him replace the head last year with one of his “OEM, authorized, authentic, Roland” heads, only to have it fail/deflect after a few months….with absolutely no recourse. So it seems awfully convenient to claim that only their own heads can be installed by their techs (on an out-of-warranty machine BTW), yet when that head fails, all you get is radio silence. I can see holding this policy on a machine under warranty, but it looks a little too much like wanting to make that $400.00 profit on the part. After all, they’d still be making a handsome sum per hour for just doing the work.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That is a classic ploy to get you to spend the extra dough on their heads. Whether he knew it or not, your tech definitely fibbed on this one. He was probably told the lie from Roland from how much I have been hearing it lately. A DX4 head is a DX4 head. If it doesn't fire within spec at the factory, they junk it. Do you really think Mimaki and Mutoh settle for the scraps that fall from Roland's print head table? Mutoh used to build Epson's large format printers. Do you really think Roland got a better deal than Mutoh? It's clearly a myth spread by Roland because they are losing money from people realizing that they are getting gouged on head prices and going somewhere else.

Colin

That is a classic ploy to get you to spend the extra dough on their heads. Whether he knew it or not, your tech definitely fibbed on this one. He was probably told the lie from Roland from how much I have been hearing it lately. A DX4 head is a DX4 head. If it doesn't fire within spec at the factory, they junk it. Do you really think Mimaki and Mutoh settle for the scraps that fall from Roland's print head table? Mutoh used to build Epson's large format printers. Do you really think Roland got a better deal than Mutoh? It's clearly a myth spread by Roland because they are losing money from people realizing that they are getting gouged on head prices and going somewhere else.

Yes, I suspect that this is the case, although I also suspect that this rep/tech is just following orders that trickle down from Roland. Who knows. In any event, he won't install it, which means I have to do it myself. I am very mechanically inclined, but I'm aware that there are going to be some little things to know to do in a certain way, and things not to do with this job, so just want to be aware of those before getting into it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
TIPS:

1. Before you do anything, unplug the printer and hit the power buttons a couple times. Now wait about 10 minutes and you are ready to start working on the machine.

2. When taking the dampers off the head, use a flat head screw driver as a lever to push up on the tab on the left side of each damper and steady the damper gently with your finger. This will make sure that the damper is pulled off straight up and minimizes the possibility of breaking the manifold.

3. Be careful with the spring in front of the head. You have to take it off before you take the head out but it likes to go flying. I usually have a magnetic bowl ready to catch it or just hold it with tweezers. Once it flies, it is almost impossible to find.

4. Once you have the old head out, clean the area where it used to be with solvent cleaner to get all of the built up ink off. This prevents the new head from sticking and not being able to align it.

5. When putting the dampers back on, wet the manifold with cleaning solution so that the, preferably new, dampers slide on easily.

6. Check the head cables before plugging them in to the head. Are they damaged? Corrosion? Ink splatter on the silver leads? Yes? Change them. If no, install them as straight as possible and pull back if it doesn't feel right. If a cable shorts out, you will be in for a headache.

7. Double check all of the cables to make sure they weren't accidentally pulled out half way or knocked crooked. If everything looks good, turn the machine back on.

8. A lot of people change their own heads successfully. If you consider yourself as a DIY kind of person, you are good enough to do it right. It's all about taking your time and not letting certain things frustrate you. If something isn't working right and you are getting angry, take a break. People get angry and force things which is where most mistakes happen.

9. The tech manual will tell you to empty the machine of ink before you start. You can do that and waste money or just have a large wad of paper towels ready for the few ink drops that will happen. If you change the dampers too, remember that the ink will fall out for a second when the damper is taken off. This is normal and should stop fairly quick. Just have the paper towels ready. The rest of the ink will recede back to the cartridge.

10. The tech manual might also tell you the wrong way to get into service mode. The correct way is:

Back power switch on but main power off (the screen should be dark)

Push these buttons in order one at a time: Down, right, left, up, right, down, left

Now Press and hold: Left, Down, Right and push the front power button to turn it on.

You have to do all of this within 5 seconds so it does take a couple tries. If you fail it will say, service mode protected.

Have fun!

Colin

Thanks for all that! One question: Why is Service Mode required? Why not just turn it on?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks for all that! One question: Why is Service Mode required? Why not just turn it on?

Service mode is needed to be able to run the alignment prints. It gives you an extra menu with all kinds of settings and such that are not available to user mode.

BHT

Hey..I have a SP300V and my black is giving me trouble with fuzzy edges I am sure head needs replaced. Is it worth fixing? I do alot of my own repair but not sure about changing a printhead..anybodies thoughts on this