• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head replacement for Epson SC-T5270?

spb

✨鞄➕
Hi, I bought a used SC-T5270 and it worked all right for about a day, then I started getting a 1A39 (printhead error). After pulling the cable on the mainboard, powering it off and then on again, the error went away. I plugged the ribbon cable back in and I was printing again. After a few more prints, the error came back. It used to only show on when I printed or did a head cleaning; now it does it immediately on startup.

I see that you can buy new printheads online, but my question is - do I need special software to replace the printhead? With my Roland SP-300V, it was a pretty straightforward process - you enter the head rank, do some alignments and you're good to go. I don't see anything in the service menu about entering a head rank and the service manual for the T3000/T5000/7000 series references software (Service Program) that I don't have. Is this something only an Epson technician can do?

spb

✨鞄➕
I bought a new head (FA10030), new damper assembly (1860639), new pump and cap assembly (1862058) and new ink tubes (1588068). I don't think it's the mainboard or the fuses based on that if I disconnect the first printhead FFC (CN1), it boots without the 1A39 error. I found an Epson technician nearby who says he will drive over and install all of this stuff. I have the SC-T5000 service manual and I would normally just do something like this myself, but 1) there aren't a lot of tutorials and guides on replacing SC-T5270 parts and 2) I need the Epson tool to enter the head rank (which I've read is important with sublimation ink which is what I'm using) and that software is off-limits for non-technicians. I understand that you can buy a less-than-legal copy on eBay, but those things tend to be on the virus-y side and I don't have the patience to deal with that anymore. That Epson tool isn't super user-friendly either—I've seen screenshots and it's one step above a hex editor—you need a codebook to decipher is happening with the printer, which of course does not come with the software.

I know that it is obvious to 95% of the people on this website but never mix inks—always flush your ink tubes and your heads with the appropriate cleaning solution before you change out your inks. The different inks will react with each other, turn into glue and permanently clog your printhead, dampers and tubes. I'm also told that with the SureColor printers that you should to at least do a nozzle check daily or else the head may get clogged, especially the yellow nozzles.

Last edited: