• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head strikes while printing with HP Latex 800W

On the 800W it is no longer mounted to the carriage from what I was told. When I took delivery of this machine it was just kind of sitting there on a track where it felt floppy and loose. I was told that is how it is. It functioned fine as well up until the other day. Attempted to cross cut the roll and it did not even score it. It also did not sound like it normally does when you cross cut. I'm thinking all of these problems i've been having are related. The cross cutter is sitting on the desk now. I'm not even going to attempt to put it back in. If all the issues go away I think its safe to assume that there is some sort of flaw in the new design/operation of the cross cutter.
It sounds like you are describing one of the edge guards - see attached pic.

The edge guards must be properly installed - they do not go in the gap between the print platen and cure unit where the X-cutter knife travels. The X-cutter does not need to be installed. As previously mentioned, the X-cutter is connected to the carriage.

Attachments

• edge guards.JPG
    edge guards.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 92

StickerGuy83

The edge guards must be properly installed - they do not go in the gap between the print platen and cure unit where the X-cutter knife travels
I know what the edge guards are and how they're installed. I read the manual. The edge guards have to placed into a slot on the left side of the platen, then slid over to the right side. The same is with the left side, you just slide it to the left position. The part that was not connected to anything and sitting in the curing zone was without a doubt, the cross cutter mechanism. You can even see the rollers on it and the two circular blades that are inside of it. I'll send some pics tomorrow of the part.

balstestrat

Problem Solver

The edge guards must be properly installed - they do not go in the gap between the print platen and cure unit where the X-cutter knife travels. The X-cutter does not need to be installed. As previously mentioned, the X-cutter is connected to the carriage.
For once Mr Wagner, you are wrong and stickerguy here is correct. X-cutter is living it's own life now, NOT permanently on the carriage. Carriage just fetches it when a cut is scheduled and parks it back.

You might have even seen this picture as I already posted it 6 months ago.
I know what the edge guards are and how they're installed. I read the manual. The edge guards have to placed into a slot on the left side of the platen, then slid over to the right side. The same is with the left side, you just slide it to the left position. The part that was not connected to anything and sitting in the curing zone was without a doubt, the cross cutter mechanism. You can even see the rollers on it and the two circular blades that are inside of it. I'll send some pics tomorrow of the part.
If you feel like it doesn't function no more I recommend to warranty it.
Its pretty easy to put back to the rail. On the right end there is small cut that allows you to insert the wheel back and I think you have to push the wheels together just a little.
It also comes out of that same cut very easily. But normally of course it shouldn't go that far.
Now you also must check the carriage that it can still engage the cutter. Maybe just warranty call the whole operation.

You are having some bad luck there.

cutter.jpg