• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Heat or No Heat for print cut stickers

highrolling24

I have some print cut with no lamination but it is contour cut in the print, I always printed with heat and waited as long as I could before I contour cut it (I leave it in the machine) but within a couple hours the edges would curl some, I was then told to try with out heat so I slowed it down, no heat and cut 5 min after print and seams to work great, no curling on edges and print looks great, but is this going to hold up? Do I need heat to soften the vinyl for the ink to absorb? is the ink just sitting on top?
So far they look great and I scratch tested it and seams good 3 hours later
Roland vg2
oracle 651
No lam.

Sando

18 Years and Counting...
On the VG2 with no lamination I set Versaworks to Cut First and then Print in manageable chunks. Rollers don't go over wet ink when it backs up and then the solvent of the ink isn't fouling up the cut. It prints over the cut line fine but doesn't do anything good when print is first and cut is second.

highrolling24

You are not highrolling without lam, highrolling24
I know, they are just tech stickers for race trucks so only need to last one race but drivers like to keep them on to show where they been so want them to last the year atleast but dont think needs laminate. You know race car people dont want to spend money!

highrolling24

On the VG2 with no lamination I set Versaworks to Cut First and then Print in manageable chunks. Rollers don't go over wet ink when it backs up and then the solvent of the ink isn't fouling up the cut. It prints over the cut line fine but doesn't do anything good when print is first and cut is second.
I will have to try this but I have to perf cut them also so not sure how that will work. Of course now that its been a little nice for a couple days here they are all wanting to get stuff done right away on stuff that they put off so I don't have alot of time to experiment.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In general you want to print with heat but turn it off when cutting. I know Mimaki printers have a setting that automatically turns off the heat after printing.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
In general you want to print with heat but turn it off when cutting. I know Mimaki printers have a setting that automatically turns off the heat after printing.

Ooooh that's a nice feature. I've always set our Rolands to print, pause for 5+ minutes (and have to go manually turn off heat) then go back and cut. Fine for smaller jobs but not ideal for larger runs obviously.