• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

heat transfer problem help!

chopper

Hey guys & gals I tried the siser color print material the other day and had a problem. when I went to remove the backing paper it tore and after it ripped I couldnt get it off the back of the material I ended up throwing them away
I thought I was cutting to deep so I went back and checked the cutter and did some test cuts to make sure it was correct, reprinted the graphics and the same thing happened, I talked to the siser rep and he said that it was the mask I was using..I am using transfer rite low tack he said I need to use their mask, what mask do you use, and has anyone had this same problem? Thanks//chopper

TrustedImages

Is that a paper mask or a clear mask? I'm not that familiar with transfer rite. Also it might be better to use a teflon sheet instead of masking tape.

mystysue

IM not sure what transfer tape to use.. but to answer Trusted Images question.. Its a papermask..
and teflon sheet will not work for this application it has to be a transfer tape of some sort..

Chopper..
I think i read on here somewhere what others use..
so mabe a search for color print would help..

TrustedImages

Why can't you use the teflon sheet with the color print? I'm not that familiar with the heat press materials. Well I am just not the ones you print on then apply. I know that if you use tape you have to use some sort of paper tape. The clear stuff will melt.

mystysue

Trusted.. its not like the other heat applied vinyl where you cut in reverse and use the backing on top.. You need a way to transfer the printed vinyl to the shirt..

Flame

I use the cleat AT60. Works fine for me.

I use Colorpint all the time, never had a proble quite like that....?

high impact

We use color print from Siser all the time and it works great! We use the mask that comes from Siser called "uni-mask clear" - I just looked and it is on an avery roll and has a yellow backing.

Jackpine

Sign Warehouse calls Siser color print , "new colorprint". I just used some last week I bought from them with no problems. I used transfe rite paper tape and it is the 475 high tack but that does not matter low tack should be ok. I peel when the print is just a little warm, than repress with a silicon sheet. The reason I use the transfer tape is to get the print on the garment. I have had problems getting the print off the backing when I used Roland HTM, but not with Speciality Material's colorprint or Siser or Solution's from Imprintable Warehouse.( Josh Ellsworth 800 347-0068)

Josh Ellsworth

Sign Warehouse calls Siser color print , "new colorprint". I just used some last week I bought from them with no problems. I used transfe rite paper tape and it is the 475 high tack but that does not matter low tack should be ok. I peel when the print is just a little warm, than repress with a silicon sheet. The reason I use the transfer tape is to get the print on the garment. I have had problems getting the print off the backing when I used Roland HTM, but not with Speciality Material's colorprint or Siser or Solution's from Imprintable Warehouse.( Josh Ellsworth 800 347-0068)

Our Colorprint II material is actually the "new colorprint" as well. We have a new mask called TTD Mask that I tested with the material this morning. It works way better than the other mask that I was using. Has a lot more rigidity, is a hot peel after application and can be reused (I reused it 3 times).

chopper

I dont think you are under standing my question but I will try again,
I am printing on siser new color print material with my versacamm it prints fine, I let itsit for ink to cure, weed material that is unwanted,
which works fine, then I apply the mask, but when I remove the graphic from the backing paper to apply it to the shirt I cannot get the backing paper off the back of the graphic with out tearing the backing paper, so I end up with backing paper stuck to the back of the graphic and I can not get it off ,
I was told that it was a problem with the mask I was using but I dont really think that is the problem need help!!!//chopper

Josh Ellsworth

I dont think you are under standing my question but I will try again,
I am printing on siser new color print material with my versacamm it prints fine, I let itsit for ink to cure, weed material that is unwanted,
which works fine, then I apply the mask, but when I remove the graphic from the backing paper to apply it to the shirt I cannot get the backing paper off the back of the graphic with out tearing the backing paper, so I end up with backing paper stuck to the back of the graphic and I can not get it off ,
I was told that it was a problem with the mask I was using but I dont really think that is the problem need help!!!//chopper

Whenever I have encountered this its been because I have cut too deep. Another instance where this has occurred has been when I was weeding and accidentally pulled up a bit of the backing paper, then upon masking the paper pulled up.

And it still could be due to the mask you are using if the cutting force thing doesn't work.

Last edited:

chopper

thanks everyone for the input I will try the siser mask and see if that makes a difference //chopper

chopper

hey Charlie,
that my name too,
anyway I am not getting to the part of applying the graphic, this is all happening before application to the shirt, I cannot get the material to release from the liner, to apply it to the shirt//chopper

PMG

Sounds like either its a bad roll or your cutting to deep,i get this some time when i cut the metalized films as well as the color print to deep!!! The deeper you cut the harder it will be to get off the backing. JM2cents:thumb:

Jackpine

I do a test cut on the material (a triangle in a square) to test the cutters setting for the material. I cut when I can weed easy and there is very little or no indent visible on the carrier sheet after I do the test cut. Saves a lot of problems from material to different material. I use a 45 degree blade. I peel the transfer paper off warm with the Siser material.

D & R

Just a though do you have the heat turn off on the drier. it it might start the heat transfer proses.
good luck Dave