• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

heatpress: Clam vs. Swing

cha88

I am going to pull the trigger on a heat press today and was wondering if i should opt for a swing style over the clam... im getting a Knight DK20 16x20...thoughts?

WildWestDesigns

I am going to pull the trigger on a heat press today and was wondering if i should opt for a swing style over the clam... im getting a Knight DK20 16x20...thoughts?

I got the DC16 swing. Clamshell to me is just to limiting, now in my case I also have other attachments and those things you really can't do with a clamshell. Usually just dedicated machines are that way.

Swings also help with loading and unloading the substrate. Might not be all that much of an issue if you are doing just shirts or something along those lines, but I'm doing hats, license plates, coasters, trailer hitch covers etc., just makes it easier to have a swing.

trik

I have both and if it fits your budget, you will not be disappointed in the swing, you will be happy you did. The swing is nice when loading whatever you are applying to. Good luck!

joeshaul

I have two clamshells. If a swing is in your budget and you have the space, it'll be a bit better for laying garments down without accidentally burning your hand multiple times. If you're primarily going with small solid objects for dye sublimation, I'd say just go with a clam.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
We have a DK-20 Auto clam shell from Geo Knight and it's a good press and their support for updating the electronics was fantastic. However if I were replacing it I would probably with a swing away from Hotronix.

After using the clam shell for a the past few years. It would be nice to have the swing away and avoid all the overhead heat. After a few dozen shirts it gets to you standing next to and under the upper platen.

cha88

wwd... ill be doing mostly shirts and hoodies for starters... shirt orders are stacking up (im just opening my shop) but i will be expanding into other relms once i get up and running... everyone seems to lean towards a swing style machine... which will work just as well for me...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
A swing can be a lot handier than a clam shell but a clam shell is fully operational in its own foot print. A swing requires more space than just its footprint. If you have the room, the swing is a good choice. If your don't, go for the clam shell.