• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from a really new Newbie!

ChiknNutz

Welcome from Washington State!!!!

What is all this part-time BS, either your in it full time or not at all.

Oh really now?! I must be just some schlep that aught to just close up shop then. Thanks for setting me straight, I feel SO much better now that we've gotten that all figured out...sorry to have offended.

I've been PT for over 4 years now (with about 6 months FT mixed in there), but have built quite a significant business in that time. I have a FT employee and will likely hire another by year end. We are now in the process of buying a new home on 5 acres with a large shop...that I will be fully renovating starting this weekend....wiring, insulation, sheetrock, the works. The whole point of this exercise is so I can transition from my current FT job back FT in my sign business. We all get here in different ways, this is what it's taken for us.

signage

Welcome and my recommendations would be to learn the deign software and find someone locally that you can have cut or print and cut for you. I will take a while to learn the design software let alone all that goes into the output software and equipment, printing is a whole other learning curve, color management, ICC profiles, file creation and output conversions to get what you want. JM.02c

beckys

Where in NH are you??have you checked the phone book lately under "signs"...lol. Were flooded already but whats 1 more I guess. good luck

WVB

TVG—Thanks for the info. It’s been a while since I got out of post graduate school (so much for the student discount)...

You missed what I wrote... You need to attend classes at your local community college learning the software. You then can get a student discount on purchasing said software...

You are jumping into something you know absolutely nothing about. To ask what a eps file is tells us just that... Take my advise as well as a former/current teachers advise and take classes, purchase the books learn the software that way and only then should you consider purchasing any plotters/tools...

KARYN BUSH

hey another nh home based company!!! great state we line in!

all i can say is....this business aint for the faint hearted. the good thing is that there are 2 of you. there is soooo much to learn and trying to wing it will get you a bad reputation fast...especially in a small town. do your homework and if possible try to first work in a sign shop first.

oh and btw...you're not looking to make a lot of money right? cause this biz isn't going to make you rich any time soon...especially since you are blindly getting into it with no experience or formal training. kinda like someone who tinkers alittle then decides they are going to be a general contractor. it is not a get rich business...and don't let some fast talking salesman blow a bunch of sunshine up yer ass and tell ya it is.

why am i in it?....i just like to look at the puuuurty colors....and i'm okay with that. seriously though....do your homework and if you have talent and the drive to learn...it can be a great thing. good luck!

davelrust

TVG,
Thanks for the advice... We are far from "jumping into something", as I mentioned earlier we are still information gathering and will ease into this, we have time and are not in a rush.
Your comments are greatly appreciated, thank you.

davelrust

Karyn,
This is to be a "hobby"/part time "fun" business with the goal of making back the money invested in equipment. We also want to experiment with different ideas we have. We don’t have visions of grandeur and I don’t expect to get rich from this. However we do take pride in what we do and I am confident we will have fun even if we don't get any customers.
You bring up an interesting point though... working in a shop would be very helpful but not practical for us (kids, working etc…). I would love to visit a working shop to help out and see how things flow; you know volunteer and learn the basics. I have not approached any local shops because I believe it would be awkward for them let potential competition into the inner workings of their kingdom. So we will have to figure it out on our own.

Good Luck to you on your venture. Do your research and do lots of it. Write a business plan, failure to plan is planning to fail, and the hard truth is that there are a tremendous amount of new sign companies every year, a VERY small percentage of them survive.

To the person that said that Flexi is the "industry standard" having been in literally hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds (maybe even a thousand) sign companies, in my opinion there is no 'industry standard' unless you are listening to one of hte companies that makes software for our industry and then they will ALL tell you that they are the industry standard.

Cadmn

good luck you will need lots of it not knowing what an EPS file is or a RIP you have a giant learning curve since those are very basic to computers & a necessity in the graphics business & a quick Google will explain both. good luck & learn pricing. don't become a lowballer giving things away as you will just allienate<sp> yourself from help

Ken

Hi Dave and Gail..welcome from BC.
I'm a 4 year part-timer and love doing this. I have learned :
1- Learning multiple software programs simultaneously IS mind boggling.
2- Starting with a plotter , then moving to a print-cut machine..worked for me. ( but it didn't take too long..but I would just go with a plotter at first)
3- NO ONE will respect you if you give your work away to "get your foot in the door"...which is hard to avoid, cause you want to get your work out there, no experience. Best advice here is to start developing a samples/portfolio binder to show what you can do. Do some graphics/lettering on your own vehicle(s)..it's the best bang for the buck.
4- Keep checking in here...the best sign making forum - bar none. However..
www.printingdigital.net will also help. There are also trade publications that will help..Sign Craft comes to mind.
RIP= Raster Image Processing
5- Corel + Versacamm has worked well for me.
6- Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it!
Cheers!
Ken

eforer

I started from home back when I was doing just cut vinyl. That was manageable. I don't think there is anyway I could run my business as it is from home. Digital printing takes alot more space. Realistically, your going to need at a bare minimum 1000 sq ft to accommodate a printer, cutter, laminator, rip station, design station, a small layout table and media storage.

Let me give you some observations having gone from cut vinyl home based to full time serious shop with digital printing, contour cutting, lamination etc. etc.

Lesson 1: Don't cheap out on equipment! We all have to work on a budget, but your printer and cutter are the lifeblood of your business.

Lesson 2: Establish a good relationship with an equipment dealer in your area. SignWarehouse can't meet you for coffee to discuss your needs, come to your shop, help you work on your stuff or connect you with good service people etc.

Lesson 3: Start by using well documented, industry standard practices, materials and equipment. Start with OEM inks, widely used RIP and design software, well known mainstream brands of materials etc. There is a steep enough learning curve to this business (especially the digital printing side of things) without trying to re-invent the wheel. You might pay more for the aforementioned items (ie OEM ink vs Bulk), but when your learning, it will save you alot of headaches. You can go to that stuff later. I am on bulk ink and profile my own materials now, but I'm glad I waited.

Lesson 4: Be prepared for set backs and difficulties. Solvent printing involves working on/cleaning machines and there are expendables that can be expensive. Heads and pumps will fail eventually and the heads in particular are not cheap. These machines aren't desktop printers, its a much higher level of involvement and they can be finicky at times. Expect the worst and hope for the best, anticipate some difficulties.

Finally, there are alot of versacamm fans out there, but I tend to prefer having two separate machines. Most contour cut jobs will require lamination (especially with an eco-sol machine) for any serious use, and that negates the convenience of having the machine be all in one. Also, with two machines you can do two things at once (ie print another job while you contour cut).

BTW RIP = Raster Interface Parser (if you don't know what that means you got some reading to do :smile:)

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

My advise is to work on the software and installation before investing in machines and software for running the machines. You can outsource the printing and cutting until you feel comfortable with the business. It is far less expensive to outsource than to make payments on machines with a hobby. It is far more expensive for the upkeep of a printer that is idle a lot than it is for one that is kept operating continuously.

Play the what if game.
What if we can't work together on a business.
What if we don't like making signs.
What if our designs don't draw in more customers.
What if the neighbors complain about zoning violations.
What if I'm reaching for "what ifs" here....LOL

Good luck

davelrust

Thanks to all !! A lot of good advice here. I''ve started reading the archives... Holy Smokes! what a treasure trove of info, I'll be busy reading all there is to offer there. I also ordered the Mike Steven's "Mastering Layout" book (thanks Craig). I'll put the coffee on and have lots to read this fall as the nights get colder up here in NH.

eforer

If you ever feel like taking a peek at my collection of Mimaki stuff, I'm down in Rhode Island, not all that far away. I'm a big fan of the Mimaki equipment, and am always happy to welcome someone into the JV3 family.