• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hello new member question concerning effects

etcher1

hello folks
imworking on a design for a window graphic (i do sandblasting)
so im doing a rather complex pattern of a japanese maple branch on top of a lattice work background, now my issue is i dont want to cut the lines under the leaves (lattice work) i have attempted to use the remove overlap and im getting no were fast, im i missing something , ive grouped , ungrouped combined uncombined ect ect and i just cant seem to get it to work up until recently i would hand cut most of my work if it was to complex ie. overlaying patern on pattern as i mentioned i dont want to cut anything under the top design (tree branch) oh and ive moved the stuff i want to remove to the back of the page and the maple to the front , and..... nada!:banghead:
so frustration is high but i know ther has to be a work around or im doing something ass backward
any help for a newbe on this would be great
thanks in advance

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hi new member.
One way to do this in a single step is to select all your objects and give them a single color.
In the Advanced tab of the "Cut/Plot" window that pops up when you hit send from Flexi check the box for "Auto-weld".
All of the overlapping cut lines should not cut.
I'd test this on a small sample section - it might not work correctly on really complex overlapping objects.

wayne k
guam usa

etcher1

thanks ill give that a try and let you know
not seeming to have to much luck wayne , but heres the deal will it show whats going to get cut in the panel preview window as im still seeing all the lines

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
How about plan B?
Select all objects
Effects > Contour Cut - offset = 0(zero) select "with holes" - apply
Effects > Separate contour cut
Ungroup (with contour group still selected)
Arrange > Contour Cut > Release contour cut (with contour objects still selected)

Should be cut ready with no overlaps.
Seems overly complicated but if the regular inline/outline, weld, or compound will not work - this might.

wayne k
guam usa

etcher1

im giveing that a shot ... stay tuned
thanks by the way my heads getting sore from banging it on my desk

etcher1

say if this dosent work perhapes i could email it to you and you could have a look , not asking you to fixit but you seem to know your stuff perhapes you could see what my issue is btw im running 8.5v1

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
say if this dosent work perhapes i could email it to you and you could have a look , not asking you to fixit but you seem to know your stuff perhapes you could see what my issue is btw im running 8.5v1

OK
I can check it out on 8.6 - the testing I did was on 7.6

wayne k
guam usa

etcher1

never mind figured the email part out at least, lol
seems i cant realease the compond its still grayed out , so ill send you the file with the original and the edit ver. im working on now perhapes you could have a look at it and see what i fobard up

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
OK lets see what you have - send it.

Release won't work on a group of contour cuts - Flexi creates these if parts of your original objects that you used the contour cut command on don't overlap each other - if that makes any sense.

wayne k
guam usa

etcher1

well sort of im following along as best i can , ive had flexi for a few years know and only in the last year have i really been trying to work it into my life so i can have one :) sure looked like they over lap to me

etcher1

ok i redid the hole thing as i mentioned and this time i got it to release the contour cut but im still seeing the lattice