• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP! Black hub on take up reel stuck

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
Anyone have any suggestions for breaking the hub "nut" loose? I think our intern tightened it too tight yesterday when we set up a large run for overnight printing. I got in this morning, took the blue side off as usual, took core with prints off, then went to loosen the black side to get it back in the 54" media position and its stuck. Should I use some sort of lubricator? WD40? Dish Soap?

Im no panzy so suggestions of MAN UP or USE YOUR HANDS will only make me smash my head on the wall. I dont want to break this important piece of plastic because Ive read that these parts are almost impossible to replace now.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
It gets tight sometimes... I don't think anything will help break it loose other than maybe blasting it with cold air to shrink the polymer.

tried with no success. the intern isnt that strong.. im confused on how this got so tight...

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
and BOOM goes the dynamite.. a little heat.. a big adjustable wrench.. body force.. back in bidness

omgsideburns

If they are anything like the ones on my colorspan, they just need to be taken apart and cleaned up and lubed. The ones on the rolls that don't get changed daily tend to get gummed up sooner than the others.