• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP I need Purple if it is POSSIBLE!!!

tooserious

I have channel letters with red leds...the customer wants his faces to be purple......has anyone done this Thank you!!

MikePro

red plus what equals purple?
blue

apply purple vinyl to faces for daytime reading, and apply blue vinyl to the backs of the letters so that it helps to stay purple when illuminated at night.

MikePro

also noted....
try to upsell them on new, WHITE, leds... as darker colors, illuminated, read much better with a 1/8" return cut into the vinyl to give them an illuminated white stroke at night.

weaselboogie

Get samples of both from the company before you spend thousands on the final project. Get a chip of blue and purple and see what they both look like infront of the red led... show the customer and let them decide.

I've done similar prototypes for lighted 3d signs. Do 1 letter of how you would construct the entire project so that everyone is on the same page when it goes into production and there are no surprises in the end.

I like mikes' idea with the illuminated white stroke around the letters too!

A

Aaron SDF

Maybe

It all depends on the design. If they are anything like others I have seen, the LEDs are soldered to the unit itself. You could remove the red LEDs and replace them with the purple variation, which would require hours of tedious soldering work. This might bring up power issues because I believe red draws the most power out of all LEDs and simply changing them to purple might burn out the new ones. Another option would require adding blue LEDs to other sockets if they are available.. then of course you might run into power issues, again depending on the design. Our boards have space for 3 LEDs. This allows us to use 1, 2, or Full color with a simple switch of the power device. Without seeing pics of the inside of the cabs, that's the closest i can get you to purple without replacing the display.

I do enjoy the idea of changing the face as it does seem the easiest way, didn't know that was an option for this job.

Last edited by a moderator:

tooserious

Thanks It is just supposed to be mood lighting for the sign. It will be indoor and in a gyms juice bar so I think I can fake the blue . It will be lit most of the time they are open