• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Help! Oracal 651 is not sticking to the Transfer / Application Tape

Colleen

Noobie
Been using Oracal 651 for a quite some time now and haven't had this issue until a few months ago. The vinyl won't stick to the application tape. On big and small cut pieces. I've been trying to do all sorts of test cutting and ordered new transfer tape as well, and it's still causing me issues. I've tried Transfer Rite Medium Tack and Nekoosa High Tack with no luck.

Before I never worried about the cutting force (Cutter is Camm-1 GX-24) because I was never taught to change the force when cutting vinyl. But since this issue has started I've lowered it from 100 to 90, 80 and 70 and it's still giving me issues. I'm not the only one who uses the cutter, so I'm not sure about blades. But I'm thinking it's the application tape. Any ideas? What transfer tape brands would be best to use that isn't too expensive? Thank you!

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Yep you have to use special mask for Orafol products. They make it stick to the liner so it weeds like a dream. Thats why the production houses love it. Then it slows the installer way down if they use cheep mask. Not a fan of the vinyl for many reasons, that's just one.

Colleen

Noobie
Is the humidity high where you are at? We have issues getting it to stick properly with high humidity.
I don't know, haha. Never had this issue around this time last year. I'm in Alberta for reference.

Yep you have to use special mask for Orafol products. They make it stick to the liner so it weeds like a dream. Thats why the production houses love it. Then it slows the installer way down if they use cheep mask. Not a fan of the vinyl for many reasons, that's just one.
It's weird because I never had this issue until a bit ago and I'm not sure what's causing it. We've used a few different brands of mask/application tape so I'm not 100% sure which ones worked the best. The last person in my position wrote down all our common materials but didn't say what brand of mask to order, only the supplier. When I called the supplier they offered me the two brands I've been using that don't work. o_O

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It's been awhile but I am pretty sure Oracal used to recommend 4075-RLA before they started offering their own application tape. You could always use their own brand; HT55 or MT72.

klingsdesigns

I don't know, haha. Never had this issue around this time last year. I'm in Alberta for reference.

It's weird because I never had this issue until a bit ago and I'm not sure what's causing it. We've used a few different brands of mask/application tape so I'm not 100% sure which ones worked the best. The last person in my position wrote down all our common materials but didn't say what brand of mask to order, only the supplier. When I called the supplier they offered me the two brands I've been using that don't work. o_O
Now that I think of it the last few rolls of 4075-RLA were giving us some issues when applying to the vehicles. Didnt want to come off like normal. I figured it was the humidity since its been super high lately.

vinylgraphics

Are you working out of a cold room too? That would also be a factor. For wet apply, even more so.

I'm in Ontario for reference. Humidity is relatively high (87% outside), but I'm in a temperature controlled room with no direct sunlight.

Pippin Decals

Give RTape Conform 4075RLA a try. That's all we use and we have never had issues with 651/751/951.

This is the High tack correct ?.. I use the 651,751 etc as well. The the tape brand i have been using for almost 4 yrs has just now started to not pick up the vinyl. .This is on a new Roll of Tans tape which is Greenstar Med tack. Thank you

Pippin Decals

Well Here's an update on the transfer tape . I bought the 4075-RLA transfer tape,Works amazing . But i also ordered the Clear to test out which is 6 1/2x100 yds, Well i used about 20 inches or less of it and its pure crap. It will not lift my 651,751 off the backing ,Maybe 50% lifting if im lucky . The vinyl i bought was brand new as well .Same order., Soooooo what do i do with the clear.Its usuless to me .

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well Here's an update on the transfer tape . I bought the 4075-RLA transfer tape,Works amazing . But i also ordered the Clear to test out which is 6 1/2x100 yds, Well i used about 20 inches or less of it and its pure crap. It will not lift my 651,751 off the backing ,Maybe 50% lifting if im lucky . The vinyl i bought was brand new as well .Same order., Soooooo what do i do with the clear.Its usuless to me .

I find the clear gets more tacky the longer it sits on the vinyl...sometimes to the point of ripping off if left on there over a week