• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with color setup on JV3-160SP/Onyx

AKProbeGT

I am in desperate need of help getting my Mimaki JV3-160SP setup. All this came with my business when I purchased it and now due to a computer failure I need to set everything up again. I'm running Onyx Postershop 6.5. My basic issue is all my colors seem to be printing too dark. I've tried adjusting the Ink Restrictions as well as the Ink Limits and there seems to be no change. I'm using a profile downloaded from Oracal for their 3651 gloss and thats what I'm printing to(720dpi). Honestly I'm at a loss of what to do. When I print the Ink Limit Swatch and Ink Restrictions swatch the colors look good but all of my files I've tried are printing way too dark. I'm not looking for 100% perfect color management just decent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Letterbox Mike

What do you mean they're too dark? Do they just look dark compared to a monitor or are they noticeably waaaay to dark?

Canned profiles aren't the greatest sometimes, but they're also not terrible, and the Orajet 3651 profile from Oracal is one of the better ones out there and should yield good results, especially on 3651 vinyl.

This may be off base, but have you checked to see if you have it set to print two ink layers instead of one? That would cause it to print too dark.

AKProbeGT

What do you mean they're too dark? Do they just look dark compared to a monitor or are they noticeably waaaay to dark?

Canned profiles aren't the greatest sometimes, but they're also not terrible, and the Orajet 3651 profile from Oracal is one of the better ones out there and should yield good results, especially on 3651 vinyl.

This may be off base, but have you checked to see if you have it set to print two ink layers instead of one? That would cause it to print too dark.

It kind ok looks like it is printing too layers but its not. The software is not set to do so and watching the machine print it is only making one pass. The prints are noticably darker to the point the colors are off, not just a little darker than the monitor.

I've attached some pictures below. One is a sample file that came with Postershop. You'll see a picture of my printout and how the colors are off.

EDITLooking at these thumbnails here it really looks like it is printing too much blue/cyan. That would coincide with the others files I've tried printing. I have a file that should be light purple and its coming out dark blue. Another file is light blue and its printing navy. I dont know if I need to change the cyan ink restriction?

Attachments

• Original File.jpg
    Original File.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 128
  • wine print.jpg
    wine print.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 109
  • color circle.jpg
    color circle.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Rooster

Either that profile is corrupt or you don't seem to be getting any color management being applied to the image.

That's waaaay off.

AKProbeGT

Any suggestions on what to try or where to look? It's quite possible that I'm missing something simple or doing something wrong and just dont know it. I've tried making all kinds of adjustments but nothing quite seems right. Everything is too blue.

Letterbox Mike

Something's afoot.

Have you tried a different image?

Try deleting the profile and downloading it from Oracal's site and reinstalling it. Run a print again with the new profile without making any adjustments to the profile to see if it changes it.

I don't think this will have that drastic affect but what are your input profiles set to?

AKProbeGT

Something's afoot.

Have you tried a different image?

Try deleting the profile and downloading it from Oracal's site and reinstalling it. Run a print again with the new profile without making any adjustments to the profile to see if it changes it.

I don't think this will have that drastic affect but what are your input profiles set to?

I've tried a variety of images and they all have the same basic color shift. By input profile do you mean my color setting in Illustrator/Photoshop? They are both set to prepress defaults, Adobe RGB/US Web Coated SWOP. My ICC Profile in Onyx is the same, USWeb/US Web/Adobe RGB Adobe RGB.

I'll try deleting and installing the oracal profile again. Maybe I did it incorrectly and its not doing anything, idk.

AKProbeGT

Can someone explain to me what I should be running under Media Configuration Name? The options I have be fault are Hi-Pass CMYKcm, Mid-Pass 1x4, Mid-Pass 1x4 MD, Mid-Pass CMYKcm, Mid-Pass CMYKcm, MD. I dont really understand what they are and which I should be using. I also have a disc here that came from Advantage Sign Supply and that allows me to have a Media Name of ASSI SS2X4. That is what I always used in the past.

I decided to reload Postershop and have a fresh start. I ran that wine bottle print under the default, Hi-Pass CMYKcm with a Avery MPI 2010 selected for the media. The only change I made was the resolution. As you will see in a picture I'll attach very shortly the color seems much closer. Maybe I'm on the right track?

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 114

AKProbeGT

Here's the latest. Printing Mid-Pass 1x4 netted me the best result I've gotten so far(see below). The media selected was Controltac210 at 720dpi. It was printed on Oracal 3651 gloss white.

I tried loading the SS2 3651 profile from Oracal again and again I got a deep blue shift. I tried loading the ASSI SS2 Profiles I have always used and they too have the blue shift. I just dont understand what the problem.

So I'm getting decent color from the wine bottle sample using the first setup described. I'm not having very good luck printing some other artwork. I have a background with some solid purple and the color seems way off.

Are there companies people that will come in and set all this up for you? I've contacted Advantage but of course I wont hear anything till monday.

Attachments

• best.jpg
    best.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 110

AKProbeGT

Well I got my issue resolved due to the fine folks at Advantage Sign Supply. I had my printer setup as a Mimaki JV3-160SP. It should have been Mimaki JV3-160 SP Ultra. It doesnt say Ultra anywhere on my printer so I just installed Postershop for the regular 160SP. That printer doesnt use the SS2 inks which is why I was having such crazy problems. It took a little bit to figure it out but once we did the out of the box profiles are pretty darn close to perfect.

Letterbox Mike

That makes sense! I could not for the life of me figure out why in the world you'd see drastic color shifts like that with that profile, it's one of the best available. I remember when we first set our original JV3-130 up we had a similar issue.

Glad you got it resolved!