• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with mirrored film removal

Ldiprinting

Hi, I have a bunch of windows that have mirrored film installed that I need to remove. Does anyone have any tricks that will help me make this project go a little easier?

Thanks. Mark

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Mirrored are pretty much the same as other window tint films.
They come off with heat. Heat gun will work, but best trick I've found is a steamer. We have a bigger unit, but started out with a handheld unit from one of the big-box stores, they're reasonably priced, and handy for a lot of things besides this. They have plenty enough heat to release the adhesive, and won't shatter glass, break seals on thermo-pane glass, or warp/ damage/ melt anything else by overheating like it's so easy to do with a heat gun. How easy or clean it removes depends on age & quality of the film, just like vinyls. They usually come off pretty clean for me, if it doesn't, just use a good adhesive remover or goo-gone for residue. If it's really stubborn, last resort is to scrape it off with a blade.

This is the same method I use to remove tint films. If it's on exterior windows, don't do it on a cold day, it'll take forever.

Ldiprinting

Mirrored are pretty much the same as other window tint films.
They come off with heat. Heat gun will work, but best trick I've found is a steamer. We have a bigger unit, but started out with a handheld unit from one of the big-box stores, they're reasonably priced, and handy for a lot of things besides this. They have plenty enough heat to release the adhesive, and won't shatter glass, break seals on thermo-pane glass, or warp/ damage/ melt anything else by overheating like it's so easy to do with a heat gun. How easy or clean it removes depends on age & quality of the film, just like vinyls. They usually come off pretty clean for me, if it doesn't, just use a good adhesive remover or goo-gone for residue. If it's really stubborn, last resort is to scrape it off with a blade.

This is the same method I use to remove tint films. If it's on exterior windows, don't do it on a cold day, it'll take forever.
Thank you so much, I was planning on using heat but I have never used steam before, that looks like a game changer! It's been dang cold up here so have been waiting as I didn't want to use heat on a cold window for obvious reasons. Thanks again!

Tomtint

If these windows are not tempered.. do NOT use a steamer or heat gun. You will break the glass if you do. Solar film will likely have 1 or 2 different adhesive types . One is pressure sensitive like a typical vinyl. If it is this type, rip the film off , spray the adhesive with soap and water and scrape the glue once it softens. The other adhesive could be what's called CDF or dry adhesive , this type chemically bonds to the glass and when you rip off the silver layer.. the adhesive layer remains behind and is not tacky at all, This type needs to be dry scraped .. lots and lots of work.. and lots and lots of blades.

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
I have used this trick with both frosted and dusted crystal vinyl. Maybe it will work with the film you are trying to remove. Give it at least an hour or more during soaking and it worked for me like a champ!