• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with printing on Sihl 3683 with HP 560

RMarshall

For the life of me I can't get Sihl 3683 (self adhesive paper) to run smoothly on an HP latex 560.

Does anyone run this on an HP 560/570 and care to share their profile settings or any tips?

The only way I can prevent it from buckling on the platen or in the curing unit is to attach it to the take up reel before printing.
I can only roll it face-in or else the liner buckles terribly.
Even then, when Im unwinding the printed roll to cut down/mount the prints the paper is incredibly curled and the liner will eventually buckle as the paper flattens.
The coating also seems incredibly fragile but maybe that's just inherent to the paper.
If I cut the roll in half it works a LOT better but that makes mounting a pain.
Currently running it 12 pass, 110% ink, 180º curing, 30% vac, 30% optimizer.

The goal is/was to use adhesive paper and paper-based display board so that we could offer a biodegradable alternative to foam signs,
but printing paper on the 560 has been such a pain that Im wondering if we should scrap the idea.
We could outsource to someone with a flatbed but we do so many small orders that it would be more profitable to just print on vinyl in-house.

ToTo

Professional Support
For the life of me I can't get Sihl 3683 (self adhesive paper) to run smoothly on an HP latex 560.

Does anyone run this on an HP 560/570 and care to share their profile settings or any tips?

The only way I can prevent it from buckling on the platen or in the curing unit is to attach it to the take up reel before printing.
I can only roll it face-in or else the liner buckles terribly.
Even then, when Im unwinding the printed roll to cut down/mount the prints the paper is incredibly curled and the liner will eventually buckle as the paper flattens.
The coating also seems incredibly fragile but maybe that's just inherent to the paper.
If I cut the roll in half it works a LOT better but that makes mounting a pain.
Currently running it 12 pass, 110% ink, 180º curing, 30% vac, 30% optimizer.

The goal is/was to use adhesive paper and paper-based display board so that we could offer a biodegradable alternative to foam signs,
but printing paper on the 560 has been such a pain that Im wondering if we should scrap the idea.
We could outsource to someone with a flatbed but we do so many small orders that it would be more profitable to just print on vinyl in-house.
12 pass, 110% ink, 180º curing, 30% vac, 30% optimizer.
180º curing is impossible.
At first I would reduce optimizer as much as possible. Then reduce curing and drying temperature to lowest value. Curing around 70*C. Slow down printing that substrate is longer in curing chamber at lower temperature.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
12 pass, 110% ink, 180º curing, 30% vac, 30% optimizer.
180º curing is impossible.
At first I would reduce optimizer as much as possible. Then reduce curing and drying temperature to lowest value. Curing around 70*C. Slow down printing that substrate is longer in curing chamber at lower temperature.
Perhaps between where the print comes out and the take up reel, run a fan or two on a moderate setting to help drying.