• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help with rosewood standard in three colors of vinyl

picks2592

Hi total newbie here to cutting vinyl although i have designed several boat names in photoshop for others to cut out.I now have purchased a graphtec ce 5000-60, and illustrator cc but cannot figure out how to cleanly seperate the three different cuts of vinyl i will need to make my new boat name.
The font I am using is Rosewood Standard, I want the bottom layer to be the black (drop shadow) the middle layer( the actual letter shape) to be engine turn gold leaf, and the inlay portion of the letter to be a silver leaf. I cannot figure out how to get the three layers seperated or how to fill in the "empty" spaces left on the bottom two layers once seperated, Can do easily in photoshop but once imported to illustrator it becomes quite messed up, as I need to put my boat in Friday I am quickly running out of time to figure out how. Any help would be greatly appreciated even if just pointing me to the proper tutorial, I have not found one yet. Thanks so much!!!

CanuckSigns

the text has to be converted to outlines first, you should then be able to break apart the different elements.

I don't use illustrator, but in coreldraw it's:

convert text to curves
break curve apart

done

Attachments

• rosewood elements.JPG
    rosewood elements.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 112

picks2592

have three layers , Duplicate Index marks ?

have to find a tutorial on that as well Thanks for your help so far guys Half way there lol

Trip59

In illustrator, if you have any styles, warp, etc. applied, go to Object and choose Expand Appearance (I always duplicate the layer then hide the duplicate to preserve editability) then select all the text and go to Object and choose Expand. The top two of three checkboxes should be checked by default, just hit OK.

If there are three colors, I'd have three layers plus a layer for registration marks. Turn off all layer visibility but the one you want and the reg... rinse and repeat.

picks2592

thankyou all for the help !

Name worked out good for my first attempt thanks to everyone's help. Put on my boat last night, now if the sun will come out so I can decide if I like the silver leaf......

Attachments

• IMG_20140501_143306_277.jpg
    IMG_20140501_143306_277.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 112