• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Helvetica Font kills Internet Explorer

John L

"IE9 A problem displaying <website> caused Internet Explorer to refresh the webpage using compatibility View"

I have a windows 7 PC running IE 9 and recently I kept getting the above error message when surfing the net. I also noticed, for no obvious reason, that sites were loading slower and slower as days went on.

It got annoying enough for me to goog-it this morning and I was surprised to find that folks were claiming simply deleting the Helvetica font made this issue go away. So I did it.. and it did stop the issue... but why?

No more messages and IE speed is back to what it should be.

Brush Script I could understand, but can I rename it to HellVetica and reinstall it?

Last edited:

anotherdog

My IE is so buggy I have switched to firefox. And of course I would rather have Helvetica than IE.
lets all go back to Netscape.

J Hill Designs

to answer the question, john, I dont think you can simply rename the helvetica font file...the font name is coded into it...you would have to have a font editing program and rename it that way...or try installing a T1 to use as your helv and see if it still eff's with IE9

John L

Thanks all.

Jhill.. you are right. I did just that, installed a recent Open Type version and no probs thus far. My previous version of Helv was a holdover that i had installed and reinstalled from way back when... I think it came with a very early Corel or my FlexiSign 2.1