• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey designsbytmm I made it!

Garfield_Graffix

Hey man, I got myself registered. Heres a better summary of the situation. I got hired at this company because they needed a dedicated operater for this machine. One of the graphics layout guys is running it now. He can do most of the basic stuff with it, but there are issues like the signs needing more finish work on edges so its not saving any time or labor. Plus the guy cant devote his time to figuring the thing out.They pretty much want me to learn what he knows and figure out how to do all the things the machine is capable of. I guess there are machines and/or laborers whose job can be done on the machine, if they knew how. Im as new to the sign business as I am to this type of machine hehehe. I REALLY want to do this job though! When I toured the shop I saw pictures of signs I had seen in person that they had made. I so want to see what it feels like to walk up to one I made there(well helped make!) in person. Whew sorry this was so long winded but I wanted to be thorough. Thanks again for offering to lend me a hand. I look forward to hearing back from you.

AwM

OldPaint

WTH.............this is what it is........"They pretty much want me to learn what he knows and figure out how to do all the things the machine is capable of. I guess there are machines and/or laborers whose job can be done on the machine, if they knew how. Im as new to the sign business as I am to this type of machine "
and what are they payin you an hour? and what would it cost them to hire someone WHO HAS ALL THE NEEDED SKILLS??????......theres the question......

Flame

andy said:
What machine? There are loads of machines- what are you expected to operate?

A milkshake machine, a fryer, and the sode fountain. I guess Garfield and MTM heard the "golden arches" had a good benefit plan.:Big Laugh

gerald

I think we need to put a "YOU MUST BE THIS TALL TO RIDE THIS RIDE" on the home or sign up page of Signs 101.

mtmdesigns

Give the guy a break i saw the guy posting on multicam's website and he wanted to learn how to run a cnc, therefore i told him to check this place out because the multicam site lacks info and personality. I was there once as well why not give the guy a helping hand.

Flame

designsbymtm said:
Give the guy a break i saw the guy posting on multicam's website and he wanted to learn how to run a cnc, therefore i told him to check this place out because the multicam site lacks info and personality. I was there once as well why not give the guy a helping hand.

There's a first for you.

First off, the theory of working at a shop to "run" a "machine" sounds kinda fishy. Then the fact he never mentioned what kind of "machine" he is thinking of running. And then... can you make a living simply manning a CNC machine for a sign shop? I kind of doubt it. No matter how big they are. You have to have all around skills to work in this business, and if you are 100% new to the business, you start out by being the everything boy. Weeding vinyl, taking out the garbage, cleaning equipment, asnwering the phone etc. And then build you way up.

Just sounded pretty weird.:rolleyes:

mtmdesigns

Well i don't exactly know what you mean by make a living but there are plenty of guys out here that make over 20 an hour just to sit on there ass and run cnc's. Plus overtime, no late night calls about a sign falling on someones head, no overhead etc...

but hat's beside the point I was were this guy was once, so you never know, he could be the next flamemaster.

Flame

designsbymtm said:
Well i don't exactly know what you mean by make a living but there are plenty of guys out here that make over 20 an hour just to sit on there ass and run cnc's. Plus overtime, no late night calls about a sign falling on someones head, no overhead etc...

but hat's beside the point I was were this guy was once, so you never know, he could be the next flamemaster.

Can't really make flames running a cnc machine.:wink:

Is he qualified to run one though? And by run, if that means work the computer and everything then I would agree that he could make a living at it. However, if he means simply standing next to it and making sure nothing goes wrong, no way. Maybe in an industrial shop, but not a sign shop. I've seen how the bigger (80+ people) sign shops operate, and I never saw anyone like that working there.

Maybe someone should clarify more of what kind of business he is getting into and what he plans to do. "running" a "machine" just doesn't explain anything.

Steve C.

Hi Garfield. :Welcome: Sounds like a great gig. Good that you are excited about the work. Let us know how it works out for you.

Flame Master,

By no means is anybody required to have "all around" skills in this business. As a matter of fact, most end up with a sort of niche. Also in some of these larger companies - it is not uncommon to find dedicated people doing a certain job.

Think about it, as an owner, you do not make your money on the production floor - it all starts at the door - selling the jobs. Doing production work actually hurts many owners of many businesses, and limits the possibility to expand.

mtmdesigns

Can't really make flames running a cnc machine........ Oh YES u can...

i don't really know the guy to be honest i just noticed his post on a multicam forum. Multicam has a pretty weak forum so i told him to come here and check this place out, and read the cnc forums and take in as much as possible because some of the guys on here are real knowlegable and willing to teach... I dunno maybe i made a mistake.

Steve C.

This board is gettin real bad about flamin newbies before we find out what they're all about. How bout a few Welcomes first?

andy

Ok, now we are getting somewhere- a CNC router.

You will need the existing guy to show you what he knows and give you the basics on how the Multicam software works- most routers have different software which whilst sharing the basic principles of toolpathing, feeds and RPM's are all different in how they lay em out.

I don't see CNC as a dogsbody job- sure you need all round skills but getting the most from a CNC is harder than it looks. As the cost of a router is pretty hefty it does pay to have a clued up operator getting every last ounce of use outta the thing.

Issues I see as a problem;- depending on what size bed you've got you are looking at a serious investment on behalf of the business owner- he ain't going to be happy if you wreck the machine. Likewise he ain't gonna be happy if you keep pinging expensive router bits or chewing up sheet materials due to basic errors.

The plus point is you have a guy who knows the rudements of what's what. If you think you can run the machine have the guy talk it through a couple of times and then get him stood there whilst you run the machine- easy to see if you are up to it or not.

If they are getting cr@ppy edges then it's either the wrong tooling for the material or the right tooling feeding too fast or else rotating at too many or two few RPM's

If you like problem solving, don't like things beating you and are determined to get it sorted then that's a good start.

I learnt CNC the hard way- all on my own with zero help at all. The thing I had going for me is it is my machine, my consumables and my time. If you are being paid to be the CNC genuis the pressure is on to be the CNC genuis pretty fast.

Oh, and if they "want to get the most" outta the machine do check they've got the right software- 3D work needs expensive extra software- no software no 3D.

andy

And- respect your tools but don't be scared of em- all routers have the big red stop button so if you see it going bad hit the button... fast :)

Garfield_Graffix

Ok lets see. The machine is a multicam 48+ run by Enroute 3.0. They basically want to see if someone can make it work better for them. I know they could hire more experience than me but they said all the people that applied wanted 20+ per/hr and were not willing to do the other less glamerous jobs at the plant. I said I would be glad to do whatever and they hired me for $15/hr. I do have AutoCAD experience and Im a whiz at 3D Graphics. I showed them some artwork I did on software I taught myself to use and I guess they liked me. They didnt hire me thinking I was the promised one, they saw something they liked and gave me a shot. Look I dont want to be a smartass or be a dick to anyone. I guess I just envisioned a utopian type place where everyone shared their knowledge and ideas. Really I just thought a forum would be a good place to gain some know how in an area that I had none. Do know Iam very thankful for any help given.

Awm