• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey redheads, Thursday, November 5 is YOUR day!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
If you have red hair, it's time to rejoice because National Love Your Red Hair Day is Thursday, Nov. 5.
here are 16 fun facts about redheads and National Love Your Red Hair Day:
1. National Love Your Red Hair Day was founded by Stephanie and Adrienne Vendetti in 2011. The natural redheaded sisters said they started the holiday to empower every redhead to feel confident, to look amazing and to rock their beauty, according to their website.

2. Less than 2% of the world's population has red hair. The highest concentration of redheads is in Scotland (13%), followed by Ireland (10%). From 2010-2016,the Irish Redhead Convention brought thousands of redheads together each summer to celebrate. The festival included competitions for the longest hair and longest beards, along with crowning a redhead king and queen.

3. Having red hair and blue eyes is the rarest hair/eye color combination possible. The odds of a person having both of those recessive traits is around 0.17%. Instead, most redheads have brown, hazel or green eyes, according to Medical Daily.

4. Researchers believe redheads are more sensitive to pain because of a mutation in a gene (MC1R) that affects hair color. A 2004 study showed that redheads, on average, need about 20% more general anesthesia than people with dark hair or blonde color.

5. The push for a National Love Your Red Hair Day came after the Vendetti sisters noticed a rise in bullying of people with red hair. So, they decided to create a day that gave red heads a chance to love their hair.

6. There are proportionately more redheads featured in commercials than there are in the world. A 2014 study found that 30% of ads during primetime hours included someone with red hair.

7. Redheads produce more Vitamin D in a shorter amount of time than people with other hair colors.

8. When it comes to skin cancer, redheads are at a higher risk than the rest of the population. A 2016 study found having red hair increased a persons cancer risk as much as an extra 21 years of exposure to the sun.

9. Redheads have less hair and thicker strands than most people. On average, its believed that those with red hair have 90,000 strands, while blondes have around 110,000 and brunettes have 140,000.

10. A lot of redheads also wind up being left-handed! Researchers believe one explanation is that both of those characteristics are recessive traits and those often come in pairs. Those lucky people get to celebrate World Redhead Day (May 26), Love Your Red Hair Day (Nov. 5) AND International Left Handers Day (Aug. 13).

11.In a 2018 study, scientists discovered eight genes that are linked to red hair. Before it was believed that only one gene, MC1R, controlled red hair color, but now research shows there’s other genes involved.

12. Redheads are less likely to go grey. The pigment in red hair typically fades over time from red to blonde and white, but not grey.

13. Being a man with red hair though could mean a lower risk for prostate cancer. A study from the British Journal of Cancer found men with naturally red hair were 54% less likely to develop prostate cancer, compared to other men with blond, brown or black hair.

14. Despite plenty of debunked studies that pop up around the internet every few years, redheads are not going extinct.

15. Both parents must carry the redhead gene for a baby to have red hair. In order for a baby to have red hair, different versions of genes called alleles need to be present in both, according to Stanford University. Even if a parent doesn’t have red hair, they can still pass on a red hair allele to their child.

16. New Zealands Redhead Days Festival is known as the worlds largest annual gathering of redheads. The 2020 event was canceled, due to the coronavirus pandemic, but organizers plan to celebrate the festivals 15th anniversary in August 2021.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My grandson has red hair and blue eyes...It's a stunning combination, and I'm sure he'll have the little gals drooling in ten years or so.

Like me, he's also a lefty...which practically makes him a rare breed on all fronts.

JB

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
My grandson has red hair and blue eyes...It's a stunning combination, and I'm sure he'll have the little gals drooling in ten years or so.

Like me, he's also a lefty...which practically makes him a rare breed on all fronts.

JB
Must be a popular thing now. My wife has become addicted to Korean tv dramas on Netflix & Viki and it seems that all the main stars have red/auburn highlights in their hair.

I am sorry about your grandson, I blame the schools - most youths are leftys all the way up through college and eventually grow out of it.

(I typed this using my left hand)

WildWestDesigns

3. Having red hair and blue eyes is the rarest hair/eye color combination possible. The odds of a person having both of those recessive traits is around 0.17%. Instead, most redheads have brown, hazel or green eyes, according to Medical Daily.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/why-re...re-plus-4-other-surprising-facts-about-413492

Sister has both.

8. When it comes to skin cancer, redheads are at a higher risk than the rest of the population. A 2016 study found having red hair increased a persons cancer risk as much as an extra 21 years of exposure to the sun.

As easily as she "burns" being outside, I wouldn't be surprised by that at all.

15. Both parents must carry the redhead gene for a baby to have red hair. In order for a baby to have red hair, different versions of genes called alleles need to be present in both, according to Stanford University. Even if a parent doesn’t have red hair, they can still pass on a red hair allele to their child.

That's applicable with any recessive trait, including blue eyes.

Reveal1

Don't know if there's any truth to the stereotype of the temperamental redhead, but I know a family of 4 redheads. Three of the four are divorced and the fourth has a very understanding spouse.

Simon Nussbaum

Beautiful Signs for a Better Planet
As a redhead, I've also heard that in the dark ages people thought redheads were witches (probably as outside groups invaded Gaul lands). The sure fire test was to throw them in water. If the floated they were witches and had to be killed. If they didn't...

Attachments

• Simon Headshot.jpg
    Simon Headshot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158

Reveal1

I have a new appreciation of redheads since my granddaughter (also blue eyes) was born 3 years ago - kind of strawberry blond so wondering if will hold.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
As a redhead, I've also heard that in the dark ages people thought redheads were witches (probably as outside groups invaded Gaul lands). The sure fire test was to throw them in water. If the floated they were witches and had to be killed. If they didn't...
I thought they cut you guy's feet off and used them for lucky key chains.. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.,,,,

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I put up my big steel pipe and pounded a few read heads earlier this week. They held the pole up very nice... one was tough breaking through the hole...but that's red heads for ya... just got to keep pounding till you get it all the way in.

Andy D

It's true about redheads hair turning white, I had red hair and it started turning white in my twenties... Now I have this crazy, unruly white hair.
I have had a bunch of people tell me I look like Guy Fieri (mostly black ladies for some reason), but I don't see it.

images

Last edited:

Boudica

Natural redhead here. I literally have 5 different colors to my hair. From a dark auburn to strawberry blond. Now I have a 6th color coming in and it is gray. Some say it looks silver, but I see gray.

Yes, I have a temper - just don't piss me off.

I was ambidextrous when I was little - until Kindergarten when my teacher forced me to use my right hand. It made her mad when I used my left hand.

I wish my eyes were blue - but they are hazel.

Boudica

Same! I hated my freckles! And yah, I got picked on a lot. I was a good sport until - one day in 7th grade I threw a chair across the room and those boys stopped teasing me. I think I scared the sh!t out of them.

Andy D

Same! I hated my freckles! And yah, I got picked on a lot. I was a good sport until - one day in 7th grade I threw a chair across the room and those boys stopped teasing me. I think I scared the sh!t out of them.
Same (except about throwing the chair) I lived in Hawaii when I was in 9th & 10th grade, I was the only white boy in my high school, at that age you only want to fit in, not stand out... and I stood out all day, every day.

Boudica

I had a good friend in College who went to high school Hawaii. I understand that the Polynesian kids were really mean to white kids. was that true for you?

Andy D

Yes they were, but not so much the Hawaiians or Samoans, they were few and far between, and seemed to be more laid back than most of the self called "locals".
The majority of the "locals" were 2-3rd generation Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. and they resented whites for whatever reason... But over time I made some really good friends,
we even kept writing each other after I moved away.