• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High Intensity/Diamond Grade Reflective

klemgraphics

I have a fire dept wanting to put high intensity reflective on the rear of one of their trucks and they need it to be cut into diamond shapes in order to apply it to a diamond tread surface. They said they have seen it cut into the diamond shapes before at fire aparatus shows and it is crazy expensive. Like $10 for a 1" x12" strip of diamonds.

I'm looking at 3M 4000 Diamond Grade and I am wondering how this stuff will cut, of if it even will cut on my FC-7000?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Mosh

Get you checkbook out. That stuff is a pain to work with as well. You are going to try and put in on diamond plate?
Tell them to get it from the people at the show, I think you have to by this stuff by the roll anyway.

letterman7

Well... all the trucks in this area have single sheet reflective right over their diamondplate. It's not the 3930/4000 diamond grade, just the 6800/6801 conformable reflective. Seems to suit them just fine, as their chevron stripes are laid over the base color. I've never tried to lay the sheeting over diamond plate, but I would assume it's pretty much like laying over rivets - a pain in the butt, so charge accordingly. Show them the different grades and price tiers and let them make the decision.

gabagoo

WARNING!!!! DANGER!!!!!! You gonna possibly do damage to your blades. The only machine I know for cutting diamond grade or honeycomb reflective is the Allan Datagraph with the built in heat sealer. Without the sealing I think moisture gets in between the clear and the reflective and will look mouldy over time.

klemgraphics

I think I will try to turn them away from the diamond grade since price is of some concern and I won't be able to cut it correctly anyway. Anyone know if you can get flourescent yellow reflective and where to get some from if it is?

Guess I won't be able to cut circles out of reflective anyway seeing as though scenedots has a patent on them...:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for all the help, I love this site and how helpful everyone here is!

letterman7

There is no flourescent reflective. It's either yellow or it's not. Two colors of yellow available through multiple suppliers.

klemgraphics

The 3M diamond grade has a flourescent yellow so I didn't know if it may be available in a standard reflective, I didn't think so since I couldn't find it anywhere though.

digitalwoodshop

One option is to ask Grimco if they can die cut it? They have a vendor that die cuts 4 inch white engineering grade for application to Engineering Grade Blue or Green 911 signs that I buy from them.

I have a FC 7000 too but find it easier sometimes to keep a stock of Grimco stamped letters as I make 911 signs at Craft Shows I do in season. Cash and Carry... Wally Mart has a plastic box for Thread with 4 x 4 inch slots that the letters fit in for a great storage.

I use the Electro Cut blue and green translucent over Grimco High Intensity White 911 sign blanks for the townships that require High Intensity.

AL

klemgraphics

I talked them into just going with Oracal's Lemon Yellow Engineering Grade as they didn't want to pay the price of the high intensity anyway. We're going to be doing something similar to the scencdots but with a maltese cross shape instead of circles.

Thanks for all the ideas

Mosh

Our State Patrol uses HI refelective so all the local agencies that I service wanted to go to it too, until they found out how much it was. Some even claimed I was out of line on the price until they checked Gall's and other's prices. They all still use me AND normal reflective films on stuff.

mshi

There are some guys ot there that will wholesale for you, I know some guys that have a die cut becasue of the difficulty and constant replacement of blades.