• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High Tack Vinyl earned me extra $$$ and environmental benefit

MontereySigns

The good news a couple months ago was a commercial real estate company that we had been trying to earn business with for several years called to say they wanted to work with us. They had merged with another CRE business and needed to change all their signage as a result. Their first order would be eighty seven 4' x 8' signs on 1/2" MDO.

The bad new was they would need us to match pricing on their former out-of-area vendor and it was a deal-breaker if we couldn't do it. The price was $137 each. Of course I didn't want to say "No", but the pricing was just too low to make a reasonable profit considering the cost of the MDO, Intermediate grade vinyl and laminate, labor, and delivery.

However, I realized we would be taking down perfectly good 1/2" MDO from the old signs. I was tempted to re-use these boards but was fearful of poor adhesion and the disaster I would face if all the graphics on the signs started peeling because I re-used the old boards. Then I remembered the success we had had using the LG LD3880 Ultra-Tack adhesive vinyl. It was cheap enough to use on this project and I knew it would have a reliable bond to the MDO.

We figured it would cost an extra $4 per board for this ultra-tack vinyl but save us the roughly $50 per board by not having to buy new MDO. Multiplied by 87 this gave us over $4,000 in extra profit on this. Plus, we didn't have to send all those old boards to the landfill!

If you get a project like this you might consider what worked for us.

-Bud

jiarby

did you have to go un-install the old MDO's or did they bring them to you cleaned up and ready to use?

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
137.00 each?
4.30 a square foot for printed vinyl. Plus driving from site to site to remove the old signs, prep for install, install the vinyl, and then drive from site to site and reinstall thrown in?
AAACK!

What was your person per hour return on this job?

MontereySigns

We actually had the installation of the 4' x 8' signs as a separate cost. If we could do more than 4 installs at one time we would make a little money on the install, otherwise we would about break even.

As we would put up the new signs we would bring back the old and re-face them. The old vinyl came off pretty easy we just put the new (High Tack) vinyl on and staged them.

In this economy you have to look at everything to make a little extra money, don't you?

-Bud