• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

high temp vinyl, is there such a thing?

petepaz

customer has a paving company that we letter the trucks, specifically the bed of the dump trucks. they get extremely hot from the asphalt so over time it burns the vinyl lettering. first time i did it with orajet 3751 and that lasted like 3 or 4 years. second go around i used orajet 3951HT,it was recommended by orafol because they were testing it on there heating and ac units on roof tops with good results. first truck lasted 2 years before it started burning and now the last truck didn't even go a year. one of the added issues is the crap metal they are using anymore. wondering if anyone has used a product in this or a similar situation with better results?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to attach a separate panel by welding or whatever to prevent the heat from penetrating through ??

Scotchbrite

No comment
We needed a film that could handle high heat. I checked the technical info for several films and IJ180 was the highest I found. They say 225°F after application.

That customer wanted it for the engine bay and I haven't heard from them how it held up. We've done other orders for them, just haven't talked about those stickers again.

Johnny Best

There was a guy on here long ago who had the same problem with hot asphalt trucks turning vinyl dark. Run a search on here.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
There was a guy on here long ago who had the same problem with hot asphalt trucks turning vinyl dark. Run a search on here.
This one?

Johnny Best

Yep, thats it Boudica, great find. Two great signmen, TimToad and Derby City are in there.
What would happen if you double laid vinyl on the metal, that would give it more life.

petepaz

gino thx for the idea i will see what we can do on that. boudica thx as well funning thing the truck in that pic is one of my customer's competitors.
i think i will try the easiest option first and try to redesign the graphics so they only go across the upper area of the bed. that seems to hold up the longest. that will give me some more time to get some more info and find the best option

thanks to all as usual

mgarick

customer has a paving company that we letter the trucks, specifically the bed of the dump trucks. they get extremely hot from the asphalt so over time it burns the vinyl lettering. first time i did it with orajet 3751 and that lasted like 3 or 4 years. second go around i used orajet 3951HT,it was recommended by orafol because they were testing it on there heating and ac units on roof tops with good results. first truck lasted 2 years before it started burning and now the last truck didn't even go a year. one of
customer has a paving company that we letter the trucks, specifically the bed of the dump trucks. they get extremely hot from the asphalt so over time it burns the vinyl lettering. first time i did it with orajet 3751 and that lasted like 3 or 4 years. second go around i used orajet 3951HT,it was recommended by orafol because they were testing it on there heating and ac units on roof tops with good results. first truck lasted 2 years before it started burning and now the last truck didn't even go a year. one of the added issues is the crap metal they are using anymore. wondering if anyone has used a product in this or a similar situation with better results?
Check into orcal 651. We have and a lot of people that sublimate are putting this vinyl under 350+ To sublimate graphics onto the vinyl. Just google sublimate orcal 651 and there are a lot putting this vinyl to the test.

petepaz

mgarick, when i first started i used 651 all the time and still do but over time i noticed using it just on the hoods of vehicle s it didn't hold up so if it can't take that heat and weathering i am sure it won't hold up on the sides of the asphalt truck, thanks though

danno

We were doing engine compartment decals a few years back. We ended up using 3M 480 with 3M 8580 laminate. The customer was sticking the decals to the valve covers of his race engines.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Same issue with a couple customers here in the Bluegrass. Solution was to bolt ACM boards to the Ribs of the truck and use that as the surface.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B