• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hiring Designers for my Sign Company

ProSignTN

In 35 years in the sign business I've never 'designed' anything. All I have done is rearrange already existing geometric shapes, letter styles and colors. As a "Sign Designer" I am an editor, not an inventor of new shapes, colors or concepts. Simply placing those elements in an affective and pleasing order. I have 'designed' things along the way, but all the signs I have done are just editing what already existed.

Johnny Best

In 35 years in the sign business I've never 'designed' anything. All I have done is rearrange already existing geometric shapes, letter styles and colors. As a "Sign Designer" I am an editor, not an inventor of new shapes, colors or concepts. Simply placing those elements in an affective and pleasing order. I have 'designed' things along the way, but all the signs I have done are just editing what already existed.
Now there is an honest man.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I can see where 'layout' can be juxtaposed with 'design'.....but in any case, every person who applies for a job creating graphic elements for signage..... needs to be able to recite, line and verse.....the 'bible'.... ( thank goodness it's back in 'print'!)

View attachment 169149
Yep! Read that and spend a year or two in production and sales. You cannot design a sign unless you know how they are built. And, especially today, you need to understand the customer's needs and be able to come up with a functional design while at the same time making them feel like they designed it!

Aaron Hunter

Yep! Read that and spend a year or two in production and sales. You cannot design a sign unless you know how they are built. And, especially today, you need to understand the customer's needs and be able to come up with a functional design while at the same time making them feel like they designed it!
Only cringe part is adding sales into that sentence lol...

decalgalnation

This is so hard to find qualified and experienced designers. Especially in smaller communities like where I'm located. I would say that I could offer my services freelance (I'm a schooled designer working in offset, digital and wideformat) but I'm in Ontario, Canada and not sure how that would work out at distance and cross-border.
where is royal sign company located? anywhere near washington?