• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

holographic laminate?

IsItFasst

I too just use the same glossy laminate that we use on our wrap material. I did do a large custom holographic decal for a customer that wanted matte finish and I was not too happy with the results as it took almost all the holographic effect from the decal. Though I guess the customer didn't mind as they never complained but I felt like it defeated the whole purpose of the holographic material.

Vassago

The way a hologram works means that any overlamination will reduce the holographic effect (its micro ridges so they get covered by the laminate)

Theoretically a liquid lamination might be able to do it, but probably won't.

Usually holograms are applied after lamination via hot pressing with a holographic shim hence why you can get clear holograms because it's an embossing effect.

IsItFasst

I really don't see much difference from raw material or with glossy lamination. But the matte lamination caused a major change in the look. I don't think the OP is talking about actual "hologram" style decals but just the rainbow effect chrome which don't have any depth to the decals (which may be causing some confusion here).

bigkahuna_305

I really don't see much difference from raw material or with glossy lamination. But the matte lamination caused a major change in the look. I don't think the OP is talking about actual "hologram" style decals but just the rainbow effect chrome which don't have any depth to the decals (which may be causing some confusion here).
so sorry was in the middle of a move to a new state, but we currently use that rainbow effect chrome yes and laminate it with oraguard 210 we get some curling on the edges later down the road so dont know if its from the laminate, the ink doing something to the material, or not gassing long enough? seems the ones with ink to the edge is what causes them to curl later