• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hooking up my Roland 20ft away from my printer..Problems!

LMSigns24

Hi Everyone,
I moved my office to a new location. I am keeping my printer/plotters in the back room and my computer up front. I normally run my roland cam 1 pro on a parallel cable. Since i needed a long cable and those parallels are expensive when you need multiple, i decided to use a usb cable. The parallel converts to a usb and then hooks into my computer. Well, it doesn't work! After 10 attempts to make it work, i rolled my plotter right next to my computer and went back to the parallel. It cut right away. When i was at staples, they guy told me those parallels are obsolete. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do?

Wrapture

My Camm1 Pro has both parallel and Serial. I have a Serial to USB converter that works fine. Be sure to enable the serial port on the plotter.

LMSigns24

My Camm1 Pro has both parallel and Serial. I have a Serial to USB converter that works fine. Be sure to enable the serial port on the plotter.

Hi! I am glad you mentioned that. I also tried that and I could not get it to cut. I found a serial cable i had lying around. I went to radio shack and bought a adapter. Its a giga converter or something (dont have it in front of me). It seemed like that would work, but i couldn't configure it. I called technical support and they said it should have a driver cd that came with it. Well it didn't, so i received no technical support. What do i do????

cdiesel

If you can get the serial port to work, you can use a USB conversion piece from Belkin--that's what we use on two of our older plotters and it works fine.

Wrapture

There are several variables, especially if you have not been using the serial port.

Be sure the serial port is enabled in the Roland.
Be sure you are using a good serial cable.
Verify that it plots via serial port without the USB converter.
Ensure that your OS identifies the USB converter and has the correct drivers.

Once you have it working and you really want to test the gods, you can hook it up to a USB server and plot to it via the LAN. Good luck.

BobM

I have a 15' USB cable going to a USB outlet (if that's what you call them) with a 20' USB cable going to my Camm 1. Works just fine. I have been told at Staples that it wouldn't work, but it works great.