• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Horizontal lamination marks with Sigmont 55H Royal Sovereign

IceTrikes

Hello. Occasionally we have been getting these horizontal dashes of what look like indentations/dents in our prints after laminating. They look like laminate bubbles, but they don't appear to have any depth like a bubble would. They don't appear often enough to be too problematic and we don't ever notice them until after laminating, which is why I presume it's something to do with our laminating process. Anybody experience something like this before? We use Oraguard 210 laminate on a Sigmont 55h Royal Sovereign. Here is an attached photo of our issue.

dashed lamiante lines (3).jpg

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Do these always happen in the same position across the roll?
Do you have any nicks cut into the top roller that might have happened by accident when cutting off laminate?

IceTrikes

Do these always happen in the same position across the roll?
Do you have any nicks cut into the top roller that might have happened by accident when cutting off laminate?
Surprisingly no. It's a new roller and we've been extra careful about it. I just double checked and the roll is still in great condition. They don't happen regularly either, as in for every spin of the roll these marks don't appear.

IceTrikes

Okay, that rules out my first suspicion then.
Is this always with the same roll of laminate? Or all rolls?
We've noticed it on several different rolls of 210sg. I was suspicious that it could be a bad batch of laminate which got damaged while it was being made. We don't really use any other types of laminate besides a few samples I have lying around for side projects so I haven't noticed it on anything other than 210sg.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
First figure out for sure if it's the lam or the vinyl. Make note of the batch/ lot number of the rolls that do it, if they're from the same batch, that could be your culprit. Had a problem with some adhesive issues on some Arlon lam we use for just one customer, every roll from the same lot had the problem. Our vendor contacted a rep, and we got them replaced with stuff from a different lot.

unmateria

Hi :) i cant see it good, but try to print the roll and leave it there 24h. Laminate next day without touching it. Rolled. Do not unroll it until next day. It happens to us sometimes (on ecosolvent) when we print something little and leave it curing unrolled.

That being said, we have had so many problems with Oraxxxx that we dont use that brand anymore. For me is (or was, because we are years without using it) one of the worst brands... Unreal datasheets, unreal self life, horrible white points... Even flyes pressed on the vynil lol... And well... 210 is well know because is one of the worst laminates you can find, for UV protection believe me that is better to dont laminate with that thing.

IceTrikes

First figure out for sure if it's the lam or the vinyl. Make note of the batch/ lot number of the rolls that do it, if they're from the same batch, that could be your culprit. Had a problem with some adhesive issues on some Arlon lam we use for just one customer, every roll from the same lot had the problem. Our vendor contacted a rep, and we got them replaced with stuff from a different lot.
Hi :) i cant see it good, but try to print the roll and leave it there 24h. Laminate next day without touching it. Rolled. Do not unroll it until next day. It happens to us sometimes (on ecosolvent) when we print something little and leave it curing unrolled.

That being said, we have had so many problems with Oraxxxx that we dont use that brand anymore. For me is (or was, because we are years without using it) one of the worst brands... Unreal datasheets, unreal self life, horrible white points... Even flyes pressed on the vynil lol... And well... 210 is well know because is one of the worst laminates you can find, for UV protection believe me that is better to dont laminate with that thing.

I never quite solved the problem, but I did notice that the dents were occurring on our substrate prior to lamination after all. It was difficult to notice before lamination, but they were there for sure. After moving onto a new roll of substrate the issue actually disappeared completely so it must've been a bad batch of substrate after all. Thanks for the tips and replies everyone!