• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I copy fonts to my new computer

Drip Dry

I've been trying to copy my fonts from my old machine to the new one.
If I copy and paste them either to an external hard drive or through the network, some of them paste into the new computer with a different name.Most are OK.

In other words "University Roman" changes to "67034___" or
"Bertram let" changes to "betram___"

Flexi dosen't reconize the newly renamed fonts

Any idea of how to get them in with the proper name

Thanks
JT

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
When you install them on the new computer, do not copy and paste them. Instead use the Fonts > File > Install command and navigate to where you have the fonts saved. This insures that menu names and registry entries remain correct.

HaroldDesign

You may also move them to the new computer by first zipping the folder they're in before transferring. This can also help prevent problems with all kinds of transfers.

Drip Dry

Fred, that may work when installing to the new computer but, the problem is getting it to an external drive to move them. It is on the network but, it won't let me access the folder because it says that it used for the operating system.

Harold, I zipped the files and it had the same result.

I think Tomorrow I will try renaming the bad files back to the correct names and see if that does anything.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, that may work when installing to the new computer but, the problem is getting it to an external drive to move them. It is on the network but, it won't let me access the folder because it says that it used for the operating system.

Harold, I zipped the files and it had the same result.

I think Tomorrow I will try renaming the bad files back to the correct names and see if that does anything.

Try going in through the Control Panel > Fonts and just copy/paste them out to your external drive. Then use the CP > fonts > install to get them onto the new computer.

showcase 66

Just something to think about before you load them into the new computer. You really should do a antivirous scan on the location of the fonts. Fonts are so easy to corrupt with viruses.

Drip Dry

Problem solved

Try going in through the Control Panel > Fonts and just copy/paste them out to your external drive. Then use the CP > fonts > install to get them onto the new computer.

I found that when I looked at the font names listed in the directory it showed the wrong font names, but when I hovered the mouse over the filename, it showed it as the right name. So, I did as you suggested and right clicked on the name and installed the font. It now shows up correctly.

Thank-You

Just something to think about before you load them into the new computer. You really should do a antivirous scan on the location of the fonts. Fonts are so easy to corrupt with viruses.

I've been running McAfee since the machine was new and just recently changed to Norton. Lately, I felt it was slowing down and my paranoia had me wondering if I had a virus .Had one years ago that wouldn't let me start
the computer and learned my lesson the hard way about backups.

Now, I read your post right after I installed everything.
It's your fault if I can't sleep tonight

Keeping my fingers crossed...