• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Do I Do this!? Complex Illustrator Layer Question.

cptcorn

adad
I have an illustrator file that is moderately complex. I need all paths, objects, etc in their own layer. They are currently all contained in the same layer. Is there a fast way of doing this without clicking and dragging each piece to its own layer?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Select the objects, Go to your "layers" palette, go to your options menu on the upper right corner of the window, "RELEASE TO LAYERS" (SEQUENCE)

cptcorn

adad
Select the objects, Go to your "layers" palette, go to your options menu on the upper right corner of the window, "RELEASE TO LAYERS" (SEQUENCE)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! (in a little girl's voice)

You are my new Super Friend x 4,823 layers!

luggnut

does release to layers do it? i'm just guessing as i have never done it but i think in the layers pallet there is a release to layers command that does?

ooops i see rick has already answered

Last edited:

visualeyez

On most files: Select all, then go to the Object drop down, and select Clipping mask, then release. You might have to do this multiple times. I also like to then create an object with no fill or stroke. Select this object and then go to the Select drop down, and select Same, Fill and Stroke. You can delete all this junk out of the file. Some files with clipped images and gradients require more work.