• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I find out what kind of RAM I need to buy?

signswi

corsair.com, run their ram recommendation program, buy what they recommend. Corsair is the gold standard.

round man

In a 32bit windows environment the cpu can only recognize about 3.6 gb of ram addresses,..thats about 4,000,000,000 addresses. This is why it is called a 32 bit system that's 2 to the 32nd power. windows 32 bit systems can see more than 4gb of ram but cannot allocate memory addresses for more than 4 gb per program it is running at a time.If your have a multiple core processor then it can allocate 4 gb for each application that is running according to number of core processors available,dual core equals two, quad core equals four applications. It doesn't matter how much ram your machine will see if you are running a 32 bit operating system the processor will only see that number of ram addresses,it is a finite number dictated by mathematical limits. 64 bit systems however can see and utilize quite a bit more ram if your system hardware and cpu is compatible with the OS.

signmeup

I'm gonna stick some Apple iram in this thing.
I noticed in task manager today that I was using a hair over a gig of ram at one point today. I only have 1 gig of ram! How is that possible?

signmeup

Thanks jesse.
I just stuck my new 1 gig stick of ram in next to the two 512s that were already there. Computer says I have 1.87 gig. Not sure how that math works. I guess it's the on board video (256mg). I'm about to attempt adding the graphics card. Wish me luck.

buttons

Thanks jesse.
I just stuck my new 1 gig stick of ram in next to the two 512s that were already there. Computer says I have 1.87 gig. Not sure how that math works. I guess it's the on board video (256mg). I'm about to attempt adding the graphics card. Wish me luck.

different size sticks aren't always compatible

choucove

Memory doesn't always have to be added in pairs, you can add just a single stick of RAM without any complications. However, its generally more efficient to install RAM in pairs.

signmeup

No.
I installed the ram.... that was easy. The video card not so much. I installed per the instructions and got no video. So I contacted tech support. They told me to disable the onboard video. So I did. Then I reinstalled the new card. Still no good. You've probably figured out the rest by now..... no onboard video either. My machine won't enter safe mode. I feel a bit screwed.
Anyone have any suggestions... besides "don't quit your day job"?

choucove

First off, which kind of graphics card exactly did you order? Do you have a link or specific details on model and manufacturer? It could be that your video card requires additional power connection that didn't get hooked up and therefore isn't running. Also, if you have multiple output connectors on your video card, sometimes they are specifically numbered such as DVI1 and DVI2. If so, a video card might not display properly at first unless it is connected through the DVI1 output.

signmeup

It is a Galaxy GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI x16. It has VGA and DVI outputs. I wondered about the DVI connector. I was using my monitor on a VGI cable so I don't have a DVI here. I suppose I'll have to pick one up tomorrow.

XP loads as far as I know... I just get a black screen after the XP intro screen and the "ta da" sound that all is well...

I don't see anywhere to hook a cable and it doesn't mention any in the instructions.

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you can see stuff on the screen from post - the bios stuff and the xp start up graphic
your video card is being seen by the system.
Sounds like the drivers are missing.
You said no safe mode so tapping or holding the F8 key while resetting the system will not work?
If you have a boot disk I'd try booting from there and see if windows will load in safe mode.
If it still won't I'd think that you have to go into the bios and make sure the old onboard card is disabled.
If that is turned off I'd pull out the new ram see what happens.
If it is still no good pull the new card and enable the onboard to see if you can get back to the place you started from.
Once there you could get the drivers needed for the new card off the net or cd and load them - shut down - install the new card then boot back up

wayne k
guam usa

wayne k
guam usa

signmeup

Thanks Wayne. Yes I'm pretty sure the drivers are missing. I guess they didn't install properly. When I emailed tech support they gave me a list of explicit instructions to follow and they did not mention drivers. Just told me to disable onboard graphics. I sure did disable them! (I shudda just come here)

No , I can't get to safe mode with old or new "card". Will try removing ram stick but I did that as a separate job before I tried to add the card. All seemed fine. I'll also dig around and see if I can find a boot disc.

signmeup

Do you see anything on your monitor while booting?
Yes I get as far as the XP welcome screen then it goes black. The computer makes the little Ta da sound that evrything is loaded but the video doesn't work. I can enter the bios but selecting onboard or PCI or PCIe appears to have zero effect. Safe mode gets as far as listing drivers (I think) and stops with a long list displayed.

I disabled the on board by going to control panel/system/advanced etc.

I'm rooting around for a boot disc....