• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I tell Onyx to use less ink?

TheSnowman

I am currently trying to tweak some of my settings on my new JV33 with Onyx 10, and I am having trouble on my Oracal 3621 prints. They look GREAT as far as quality (printing in 540X1080 6 Pass Bi-Dir) but seems like they have probably a 1/3 more ink that is really needed, and they're mega saturated. I also believe that this is the reason as to why it's leaving "roll marks" where the pinch rollers are. You can see them all in the prints.

Just thought I'd see if anyone could tell me where that option is, or if I just have to start with a different profile. Haven't done a ton with them, but looked through all the settings, and couldn't even find any kind of ink settings. What I did see were greyed out.

Bly

Ink restrictions and limits are done before building icc profiles, so any adjustments you make there will affect colour accuracy.
Best bet is to try and find a better profile.

If that's not possible you can go into Media Manager, select the media linearization and scale each colour by the same amount - say 80%. Save and do a test print.

Make sure you make a copy of the media before you start screwing with it..

IronHawk

Make sure you make a copy of the media before you start screwing with it..

+1. Always give yourself a place to fall back from changes.

You can also try bringing your saturation down evenly across the board with the sliders in the color correction tab. Sometimes though, this will cause your colors to go flat on banner material.

Building another profile may be the best choice though.

I know that with my machines, the higher resolution you run at, the more ink it's going to be throwing down.