• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do schools and townships still not understand the PO process?

rossmosh

I'm baffled by how schools and towns don't think following the PO process is important or simply don't know it.

I create a quote. You create a requisition order. Finance creates a PO. I receive the PO. Start work. Send an invoice. You pickup / I ship. You release the funds. It's not complicated.

Today, a school I've been dealing with for forever, followed up on when they can pickup their order. They told me they'd get the PO working 3 weeks ago. I haven't received it. It's not an order until I get a PO. Period. That's their rules. Not mine. I follow the rules, so I can get paid.

This was a last minute, gotta spend money in the budget, type order too. Those don't always make it through and no one is calling me up to say "Oh yeah, we just decided not to do that."

Farmboy

I'm on my town board (over 10 years) and we've never issued a PO. Maybe that's just us. We also only pay the bills once a month, as most do.

CanuckSigns

We do a lot of work for a local hospital, the people I usually deal with are great and understand the PO process. But every once in a while a new person will take it upon themselves to order their own signs and I end up having to walk them through their own processes.
"No that's a purchase requisition, you need to send that to purchasing and they will issue a purchase order and send it to me"

" no I can't bill your department directly, I'm not affiliated with the hospital"

"Here's John's email, he's in purchasing, he can walk you through it"

" no I can't get started without a PO, yes I know it takes a week to get a PO made up, I told you that 2 weeks ago."

rossmosh

I'm on my town board (over 10 years) and we've never issued a PO. Maybe that's just us. We also only pay the bills once a month, as most do.

Every town does it a bit different. Frankly, I hate that system. It's often the worst of the bunch. There is a lack of accountability on so many levels. I find regularly treasurers are awful at their job and sit on invoices for 60+ days before processing them. I also have to worry whether or not I'll get paid at all because some customer decided to go rogue. I had a high up guy in the FD order some stuff and for some reason they won't pay this one invoice. It's likely internal politics.

Give me a PO. It's a contract. It's gone through approvals. If you don't pay me, I have recourse. This honor system BS is much worse. Especially when meetings can be canceled and now checks won't be processed for 6-8 weeks sometimes.

Funnily enough, the customer that started this rant sent over a PO this morning. It was supposed to be started 2+ weeks ago. It had today's date on it. Surprise surprise.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If you knew they were in a rush, why didn't you stay on them so you didn't get backed in a corner and make yourself look bad to them? Believe it or not, people forget things from time to time. A simple phone call or email would have went a long way here.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
If you knew they were in a rush, why didn't you stay on them so you didn't get backed in a corner and make yourself look bad to them? Believe it or not, people forget things from time to time. A simple phone call or email would have went a long way here.
That's hard to do, as we all get busy, but you will serve the customer well if you can stay on top of projects like that. There's something about POs, signed proofs, etc that can be difficult to get customers to follow through on.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I find the people ordering don't follow through very well with PO's - so I do it myself - so I can get paid. I get a quote made up, send it to the AP girl directly, and copy the order person - with a note telling her the job is in process. She sends me a PO number so I can start. Once the job is done I send the invoice to her and copy the order person. They pay on the 5th of the month. However, if it's like the 7th and the bill is quite large, she makes an exception and sends me a check. Not sure if they do requisitions but my guess is the AP gal does them. I always get a PO within an hour of sending an email, she's really good!