• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you categorize and/or organized your samples?

PhilSwatch

Hello, when we produce samples for our clients, we always keep a copy for ourselves to reference. We mostly have rolls of vinyl, only a few solid substrate samples that we keep. Problem is our rolls are all different sizes and labeling them so all the labels are viewable without having to route through our samples bin is near impossible to keep organized. How do you keep your samples organized so they aren't a pain to search through??

Right now, we are using bins with all the rolls sticking straight up and in order based on job #, but it's a total pain. Any ideas please? ~Phil

CanuckSigns

I'm not clear what you are asking, what kinds of samples do you do? When you say samples,.do you mean physical proofs,colour swatches etc? How long do you keep them after a job is complete?

PhilSwatch

I'm not clear what you are asking, what kinds of samples do you do? When you say samples,.do you mean physical proofs,colour swatches etc? How long do you keep them after a job is complete?

Physical proofs, Yes. They are mostly rolls of vinyl of different sizes. When rolled up, they are a 4 inches in diameter and an array of different lengths. Any where from a 5 to 54 inches in length. So it's basically a bunch of tubes of media, different sizes sticking up out of a large bin broken up into sections based on job #. They are labeled, but you have to pick up the smaller tubes to read the labels and it's a pain when you have to search for a specific sample. How do you organize your samples?

CanuckSigns

I've never heard of this before. usually samples & proofs are pretty small, like 24"x24" or so, if you are printing off rolls to use as proofs and colour swatches it sounds like a waste of material, but you know your business better than I do.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Whats the rationale behind keeping samples? Once it's all dialed in and the file is saved, why would you need to go back to one?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We use a couple of these for extras/samples/random prints:

We have different labels/categories and try to keep them organized and purge every so often.

Are you able to get your samples down to a consistent size so they can be stored and sorted more easily?

I can see how the random sizes would create a storing/accessing nightmare.

PhilSwatch

Whats the rationale behind keeping samples? Once it's all dialed in and the file is saved, why would you need to go back to one?

When we color match and send out a sample, could take 5 months for a client to get back to us for approval or for us to tweak the colors. We need to keep a copy to reference if the job gets approved and we need to keep color consistent.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm still confused. If you print a sample you can keep a record of whatever settings you used. If it's cut vinyl, same deal, just keep an electronic file. We do a lot of spray out samples but never keep them. The customer takes them and says yay or nay but we already have the formulation done.

rvolkers

I keep JUST the original files to view as samples along with a photo of final for my records in the folder with each client DATED - if it is a very special job I MIGHT ? - hang on the wall

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Outside of a well colour managed workflow, then depending on the scale of your samples, a normal filing cabinet. If the samples need to be bigger, there are suspension racks comercially available for architectural plans. These are designed to hold lots of sheets in a dense space, but would require the samples to all be of a similar size. Way cheaper than plan chests per square foot of floor space.
Our main work is photographic / art repro, and for certain clients we offer a service of artist's proofs, for those times when an edition of prints can stretch out over years and decades. This puts the onus on us to offer a visually similar reproduction, when we may have shifted printer tyoes, or the paper manufacturer has changed specs. We charge accordingly.

Given that you may not be able to get today, that which you supplied a sample of five months ago, I'd go for the colour managed solution, or be prepared to carry a seriously heavy inventory of media and ink.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If you have a consistent workflow and specific color profiles, then it should be easy to note which color profile/setting/printer you used for the sample. Just put that in an excel sheet or write it on the order.

We cut the printer settings notes off the job after it is printed and apply it to the work order. That way next time the order (which also lists what materials were used to print/laminate the job) has all the info on it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
IMO, your approach is wrong.
a well colour managed shop doesn’t have these issues.
if client asks for sample to make sure colours are okay, well print their sample with their file.
If client needs PMS colours, well print off a with a range of colours and use a spectrophotometer to pick the one with the smallest dE. Well save it and it’s there forever.

ProSignTN

I very rarely am ask for samples. Thirty plus years in a small town, my rep precedes me. I do save certain install hardware elements. Short pieces of components in small boxes. I do a lot of one of a kind installs, (until they need it redone at another location, or next year), so saving these custom designs help remind me how I did it the first time. And, when another similar job comes my way, I've got a head start on designing a proper and efficient install method. I do apologize to anyone I might offend but Signs 101 has somehow morphed into Print 101, but it is labeled SIGNS 101. Is there anyone else left on this site who is actually in the sign business? Quick, who knows what is: a Tag Line, a Pounce Pattern, a Fitch, 60ma vs 30ma, a slave board, an easel, a lag shield, the Patagium Theorem, acrylic vs poly-carbonate , how to trace an electrical short, how much concrete do we need for this hole, or how to level a sign on an unlevel wall?

Don McCormick

I think when Phil says samples, what he means is a printed proof the customer has approved. Phil - I think you will need to find a common size to trim your proofs to keep for storage and future reference— managing different size rolls and sheets is an exercise in frustration. We tried flat drawer storage— but they are heavy as H*ll, take-up a lot of floor space and you are not user friendly. We took inspiration from hanging blueprint storage. Our "trimmed" proof size is 24" x 36". In some cases, we have 2— 24" x 36" proofs for each job. We use a vertical hanging system. Link and photos below (there are many sizes and styles— and you can find a better price if you search). Depending on the type of substrate, we can have as many as 50 proofs in each clip. We file them by job number. Each clip has a range of the job numbers. Ours job numbers alway start with the year— so in one clip it might reference: 20719 to 21578. The net-net is we have a filing system that is easy to use and reference— and looks nice. I hope this helps you.
Brookside Design Premium Rolling Blueprint Stand Bundle with a Dozen 24" Clamps

Attachments

• Brookside-Design-Premium-MRWH-bundle-md.jpg
    Brookside-Design-Premium-MRWH-bundle-md.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Brookside-Premium-Brand-Rolling-Blueprint-Stand-MR1218-Bundle.jpg
    Brookside-Premium-Brand-Rolling-Blueprint-Stand-MR1218-Bundle.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 93

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Hello, when we produce samples for our clients, we always keep a copy for ourselves to reference. We mostly have rolls of vinyl, only a few solid substrate samples that we keep. Problem is our rolls are all different sizes and labeling them so all the labels are viewable without having to route through our samples bin is near impossible to keep organized. How do you keep your samples organized so they aren't a pain to search through??

Right now, we are using bins with all the rolls sticking straight up and in order based on job #, but it's a total pain. Any ideas please? ~Phil
I agree with others that a good color managed workflow is ideal. Could you fold it and use a standard filing cabinet? We do a number of architectural signs that have a lot of pieces to them. We just store them in an upright metal cabinet. It’s not ideal, but it’s nice to refer back for reorders, etc, just to make sure we’re on track

WB

Years ago, I used to print proofs off for clients and get them to sign them... We'd then keep the proofs in case they ever came back for any issues or simply wanted another print.
That was a waste of time and space, There will always be colour changes in products there are to many variables in the loop. Save yourself the headache and throw those out.

Lasermike

The other respondents to this thread are much more knowledgeable on this subject than I so I defer to them on samples and how to handle them. I'm in the laser business. But, I'd like to offer a suggestion to your initial question. It sounds like you're storing them on 4" cores. How about purchase core caps and labeling them with the customer name and job number?