• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you clean up fonts?

datcat

I have a font that I downloaded from Fontsville and the "a" has a defect in the window. It's barely noticeable when the font size is selected at 72 but VMP picks it up and when I apply my outlining filter it outlines around the splinter. The font is called Wide Glide if anyone happens to have a clean version. I can post the font here if there is anyone who can help. I tried to mask over it with a white circle and weld it but that didn't work.:help:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are two ways to clean it up.

Open the font in Fontographer, node edit for a smoother path, and regenerate the font.

Type out your text, convert it to outlines (paths or whatever VMP may call it), and node edit the fault.

The first way is better if you will be using the font again. The second way will get you through the job.

Fontville appears to be a forwarding site for various font providers and I can't locate the font. Give me the link you downloaded it from.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Method 1:

Type out your text in Corel, select it, convert it to paths, edit the bad node.

Method 2:

Type out the text in Illustrator, select it, convert it to outlines, edit the bad node.

Method 3:

Send me the link, I will download the font, open in Fontographer, edit the node, regenerate the font and send it back to you. Insure that you have WinZip on your machine to unzip the font when you receive it.

datcat

Fred Weiss said:
There are two ways to clean it up.

Open the font in Fontographer, node edit for a smoother path, and regenerate the font.

Type out your text, convert it to outlines (paths or whatever VMP may call it), and node edit the fault.

The first way is better if you will be using the font again. The second way will get you through the job.

Fontville appears to be a forwarding site for various font providers and I can't locate the font. Give me the link you downloaded it from.
Thanks Fred, your always great help!....First for the newby...What is Fontographer because thats the way I was looking to go. I knew I could create my design and then clean it up but I wanted to fix it for good. I'm sure there are other characters that have the same defects. Here is the linke to the "W" page that the font resides on. It won't pick it out by search but I knew I got it there and just looked it up manually.

http://www.fontsville.com/font.php?letter=W&page=27

While we're yacking...what is it in my browser keeping me from seeing thumbnails on your board? The only way I can access them is by running my cursor over where they should be until I get a finger that points them out. Haven't had this problem on any other board (and I'm on a ton of them from cars to surfing related).

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fontographer is the most used program for creating, editing and converting fonts. It is published by Macromedia and sells in the low to mid $300 range.

I haven't heard any other complaints regarding seeing the thumbnails. What browser, including version number are you using? How old is your computer and how good a video card does it have? What type of connection are you using - dialup or broadband?

I'm currently using Mozilla FireFox and love it. It is free, open source software that is totally superior to Internet Explorer. Mozilla FireFox