• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you guys like your Versacamm?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You might want to do a search on VersaCamm. There have been several threads here.

It's competition is primarily from two other similar machines: The Mutoh Jr. and the Mimaki 30". Each requiring a separate plotter rather than built-in to the printer, but faster and available for straight cutting as well. The speeds, size of print, size of cut and included software all bear detailed comparison.

None of them, IMHO, should be used for vehicle graphics without overlamination .... so that should also be budgeted for.

My opinion, as a non-owner, is the Mutoh is the best all around choice in the 30" range coupled with a Graphtec plotter. It's less money and a faster, more productive system. Additionally, for not that much money more, you can get the Mutoh Falcon Outdoor and get even better production and better looking prints along with a significant banner printing capability.

Barry

I have the versacamm and love it... IMO its the best in its class (36" or smaller machines). Roland has a wide varity of materials to print on (You can also print on just about any sign vinyl). The important thing to me is the number of profiles that are available of the different medias.

Its also nice to have a printer/cutter in one machine. I do lots of labels and small decals. To be able to walk away from the machine and come back in 30 minutes and everything is done is really nice. Roland also seems to have better support.

Honestly you can not really go wrong with any of the machines in this class, the Versacamm was just the best fit for me.

Finyl_Vinyl

Has anyone seen the Mimaki (JV3 75SP)? I'm very interested in finding out the quality and the speed of this combo. Maybe a Graphtec plotter paired with it instead of the Mimaki plotter? If anyone one has one I would love to send some files to test it. I would pay for any time, effort, and shipping. No dealers that are even close to me in the dakotas....sigh*

Jim

pgettys

Let me tell ya

I have fallen in love with this machine,it is a workhorse for sure
I set it last night for 1,000 oval stickers with 3 colors 6x3 i lined her up and 81 minutes later it's ready and asking for more.
That was really quick if ya think about 1,000 stickers.

I just got my laminator and haven't used it yet but can't wait to .

speaking of i need some help with that on the process
Fred,have ya got a clue about that

Your the man
Thanks
Paul

DBT34

I like my Versacamm! :)

1). It is VERY easy to use.
2). I like its all-in-one Print / Cut feature
3). It is very easy to take a print out of the Versacamm, laminate, put it back into the machine, and achieve accurate Contour cuts.
4). Production costs are very reasonable!

The only thing I would suggest is purchasing an external dryer and a laminator!

-If you print anything (especially a heavy amount of Black) you will have to give your print time to dry before laminating or applying transfer tape. An external dryer will greatly help your drying time! (I purchased a Benes UV dryer that attaches directly to the front of the Versacamm. It is a little expensive, but it seems to be of great quality and definately speeds up the drying process!

-I would strongly suggest laminating almost anything that comes out of the Versacamm! I know they state that the prints are "Outdoor Durable" for up to 3 years, but the prints directly from the machine really do not have an abrasion guard. If any sort of solvent, etc. gets on the print... it is all over! Definately do yourself a favor and laminate. It is only an extra step, and will provide much more durability! The Versacamm prints fairly fast, is accurate, and very easy to use... taking the extra step to laminate will help against abrasion, durablitly against chemicals, and will increase its UV effectiveness!

Good Luck!
-Dave

Barry

DBT34,

It sounds like you may have your ink limits set to high, or your heater is not running high enough. My printers are dry to the touch by the time they come off the printer. For some reason Roland sets the ink limits way high on their profiles (normally 300-400). If you drop your ink limit down to 130-150 you will not only use less ink, it will dry MUCH quicker, the prints will look better while being more durible... High ink limits cause the ink droplets to spill into each other and also scratches easier.

Most of my profiles ink limits are set at 135 and I normally run the heater around 118F.

Barry

wickedfx1 said:
Anybody here service their versacamm themselves?
There is really not much service to do on the versacamm. Since it is an eco-sol machine you really dont need to worry about maintaining the machine to much. I epect after about 18-20 months of use the heads will probably fail and will need to be replaced. The machines are really not that complex, so Im guessing I could probably do it myself if I had to.

Barry

Yes and Yes...

Im not sure why you would want to print on Oracal 651 though, you get better results with printable media and the price is about the same.

I print on MetaMark MD5-100 all the time for about .36c a sq foot. 651 is a bit cheaper at .29c a sq foot, but its really not worth all the extra hassles. Printable media is normally made in a clean room to avoid dust getting rolled into the vinyl. These type of printers will print right over the dust and cause little fish eyes through out the print.

wickedfx1

thanks for the replies.
One more question would you recomend getting this machine if you lived in Hawaii,
where equipment support is far away

Barry

wickedfx1 said:
thanks for the replies.
One more question would you recomend getting this machine if you lived in Hawaii,
where equipment support is far away
I dont know if I would get a printer without support or not, but I would much rather have an eco-sol printer than a full solvent without support. Full solvent machine require a LOT of up keep.

Fortunatly I have had zero problems with my versacamm in the last 7 months.

wickedfx1

Barry said:
I dont know if I would get a printer without support or not, but I would much rather have an eco-sol printer than a full solvent without support. Full solvent machine require a LOT of up keep.

Fortunatly I have had zero problems with my versacamm in the last 7 months.
Well from knowing what you know now and you were in my position would you still pick up a verscamm if you lived in Hawaii

Barry

wickedfx1 said:
Well from knowing what you know now and you were in my position would you still pick up a verscamm if you lived in Hawaii
Honestly I dont know. If something does go wrong you might be stuck with a $15,000 printer that doesnt work... The machine does look pretty easy to work on, but hey what do I know I have never had to work on mine..

wickedfx1

Barry said:
Honestly I dont know. If something does go wrong you might be stuck with a $15,000 printer that doesnt work... The machine does look pretty easy to work on, but hey what do I know I have never had to work on mine..
Looks like I would have to cough up $20gs to get a mimaki locally, which is kinda pass what Im willing to pay just to print. Thanks for being straight up not like the sales people