• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How do you guys tape the print to the take up roll?

Tuanny

Hi guys, how do you guys tape the print to the take up roll? because after I put the roll on the plotter and start cutting after it gets to the end it yanks the tube and sometimes messes up the alignment of the paper during the cut. I guess i can leave more material for the end but it seems a bit too much of a waste as im already leaving like 8 inches of material.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When plotting, I don't tape anything... for the reason you are experiencing. 8 inches should be fine... just don't restrain the material with taping. Tried it as a noob brainiac idea years ago. bit me in the but... kinda like what you have described.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I use 3 small pieces of 1.5" tape, middle first then each end. If you have a few separate things to cut, unroll it before you cut the last one and take the tape off. If you only have one thing, get it all setup, unroll it by hand, untape and let it hang. I use the takeup on about everything, it just makes it easier.

Notarealsignguy

When plotting, I don't tape anything... for the reason you are experiencing. 8 inches should be fine... just don't restrain the material with taping. Tried it as a noob brainiac idea years ago. bit me in the but... kinda like what you have described.
Amateur

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Wait, this for me is at the 'beginning' of the print. Print, lam, plot, and now the end of the roll during plotting has that 2' excess I need to feed out the godforsaken latex machine.
My biggest pain is how the graphtec needs 4" leader before the reg marks, and somebody lopped the damn thing off right when it came out of the laminator...i
Wait, this for me is at the 'beginning' of the print. Print, lam, plot, and now the end of the roll during plotting has that 2' excess I need to feed out the godforsaken latex machine.
My biggest pain is how the graphtec needs 4" leader before the reg marks, and somebody lopped the damn thing off right when it came out of the laminator...
i feel your pain

Notarealsignguy

My biggest pain is how the graphtec needs 4" leader before the reg marks, and somebody lopped the damn thing off right when it came out of the laminator...
I think the reference was for the end of the roll where it yanks and skews? Those HP printers are crap. Sorry

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

What Graphtec are you running? We barely leave an inch leader and it works fine with Onyx with our 8600.

I find 4" is enough at the back end. The front edge doesn't need much.

My pain is for long (more than 120"), laminated runs,( we didn't purchase enough "grips" on our graphtec) so tracking can stray but I actually found, keeping it on a core helps keep everybody running straight.

Question: What is the longest length anyone has run without any major issue, me: 200" which I mistakenly did and I babysat it the entire way.

StickerGuy83

I line it up and say a prayer. No tape when its going onto the plotter. Some cores have the tape on the core that can be removed, some have an adhesive that cannot be removed. I try to save the cores that have nothing on them for when its going onto the plotter.

I line it up and say a prayer. No tape when its going onto the plotter. Some cores have the tape on the core that can be removed, some have an adhesive that cannot be removed. I try to save the cores that have nothing on them for when its going onto the plotter.
lol, I pray to the gods of plotters as well

mim

0_o
We don't use a take-up reel for cutting but I have a method for printing. I tape non-adhesive paper "tape" to the start of the print, before it starts printing, and tape the end of the paper tape to the roll and give it a bit of slack. As it prints the tape is wound up on the reel before the print so it has more room to move back and forth. Just don't make it too tight otherwise you'll run into the same issues.