• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How does this Happen?

R08

Whenever I copy a logo from a website into Corel, the file in Corel is so much worse than the online version.

Why is that?

Here's an example: I am authorized to use the Inglis logo for a distributor and I just copied a jpg off their website. I'm just curious as to why the internet version is so much better than the copied version.

I'm guessing that Internet Explorer has some sort or automatic bitmap rasterizing component.

Graphic.jpg

signswi

Wow, really? It's a screen resolution jpg it looks good on screen because that's it's intended usage. As jhill says, get the vectored version. This is pretty remedial!

R08

Wow, really? It's a screen resolution jpg it looks good on screen because that's it's intended usage. As jhill says, get the vectored version. This is pretty remedial!

Ok.. but why is it .. that when you copy and paste the image into CorelDraw ... it seems to have lost resolution.

J Hill Designs

probably anti-aliasing in IE's rendering engine

anyway, moot point as the logo is posted above in vector :thumb:

edit: oh just saw the post about already having vector sry

WrapperX

Internet images tend to be of low resoulution so that the websites can be processed by servers quickly. They are of the lowest quality and should NEVER EVER be used as direct source images!

R08

probably anti-aliasing in IE's rendering engine

anyway, moot point as the logo is posted above in vector :thumb:

edit: oh just saw the post about already having vector sry

Yes... that's what I thought as well. Just wondering if someone knows for sure.

TheSnowman

Whenever I have to copy and paste something off of a website to trace it (or have it traced in most cases) I'll zoom in as close as my screen will allow me on the website, and then do a screen capture of my screen...that normally gets me better results than copy and pasting it. But yea, I see your point.

R08

Internet images tend to be of low resoulution so that the websites can be processed by servers quickly. They are of the lowest quality and should NEVER EVER be used as direct source images!

Your answer is besides the point but you should " Never say Never"

I use them when i have to make a sketch for a customer and they haven't provided the "good" artwork yet.

Or if there are a bizzillian logos on 'Thanks to our sponsors' temporary sign.

But my original question is more academic. Why does this happen?

R08

Whenever I have to copy and paste something off of a website to trace it (or have it traced in most cases) I'll zoom in as close as my screen will allow me on the website, and then do a screen capture of my screen...that normally gets me better results than copy and pasting it. But yea, I see your point.

Ya.. that's what I usually end up doing but even then it doesn't seem to be as good as the Internet Explorer version

R08

of course you can use it to greek in for layout approval, but the NEVER still stands when going into production

Even when the customer tells you to and you have a sign like this that is seen by people who walk by and see it only once?

... still never? :smile:

2010 sponsor A type sign 8th.jpg

John Butto

JPEG images, and not all images on the web are jpeg but can be giff, png, are in compression format. So the quality goes down and when you copy that back to your software in that compress format you get the "fuzzy" look.

R08

JPEG images, and not all images on the web are jpeg but can be giff, png, are in compression format. So the quality goes down and when you copy that back to your software in that compress format you get the "fuzzy" look.

Good answer :toasting:

Thank you. Makes sense to me.
May also explain why it's worse on some than others.

ALSO:
I notice that when I purchase a file from istock.com they actually give me a webshot to copy and paste (or save). This file does not seem to lose ANY quality at all. So they must be using an uncompressed format.

OH and BING BING BING Attention jhilldesigns .. Istock is one more example of using a screenshot to go into production. lol :ROFLMAO:

signage

Rob if you are using corel rather than just copy paste look in to Corels capture program!

I do beleive that there is a tutorial in the premium section on it!