• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how many guys buy banner from china?

EthanW

hello guys
I'm a guy from a banner(tarpaulin & celling film) company,just wanna know,do you buy banner from china? and what's the problems you met in you business?

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Reflective Banner Material

Hey, Ethan, Welcome to Signs 101! What part of China are you from?

To answer your question, I buy rolls of reflective banner material from China, and the biggest problem is CUSTOMS! If the shipment has any interesting small items included in it, they will be stolen.

But I suspect you are asking about shipping PRINTED and FINISHED banners to american customers...

EthanW

Hey, Ethan, Welcome to Signs 101! What part of China are you from?

To answer your question, I buy rolls of reflective banner material from China, and the biggest problem is CUSTOMS! If the shipment has any interesting small items included in it, they will be stolen.

But I suspect you are asking about shipping PRINTED and FINISHED banners to american customers...

Hi Stude
I'm from Zhejiang Pro. Chinese Custom? normally the customs are not allow a mixed cargo if not declare ,interesting things may should send by express.....My company also make banner materials called MSD....

TheSnowman

We buy everything from American vendors, where they get it, I have no idea. I try to buy as much as I can that's made in the USA just to support our own struggling country, but I'm sure most of what I use on a daily basis did not come from here. I'm not sure I'd ever even buy online from another country...every time I've seen someone asking about a deal that's too good to be true from another country, it normally was and they end up screwed.

CanuckSigns

The average sign shop is generally a mom & pop type operation, maybe a few employees, I don't think they are going to be buying the kind of volume needed to make ordering directly from china feasible.

royster13

I remember a comment like this a few years ago about a small screen printer importing containers of t-shirt blanks...Now that small screen printer is bringing in 2 containers a month....I would sure love to see the "math" on importing a container of banner vinyl.....May be way out of reach for a small shop but has me curious.....

EthanW

We buy everything from American vendors, where they get it, I have no idea. I try to buy as much as I can that's made in the USA just to support our own struggling country, but I'm sure most of what I use on a daily basis did not come from here. I'm not sure I'd ever even buy online from another country...every time I've seen someone asking about a deal that's too good to be true from another country, it normally was and they end up screwed.

:thumb: not like the koreans never buy japanese,you are just patriotic.

EthanW

The average sign shop is generally a mom & pop type operation, maybe a few employees, I don't think they are going to be buying the kind of volume needed to make ordering directly from china feasible.

yes,if the shops all buy from china, how the american companys be alive & Chinese company will lose big customer.........it's Pyrrhic victory.

EthanW

I remember a comment like this a few years ago about a small screen printer importing containers of t-shirt blanks...Now that small screen printer is bringing in 2 containers a month....I would sure love to see the "math" on importing a container of banner vinyl.....May be way out of reach for a small shop but has me curious.....

way out of reach for a small shop,but there's a way of buying "group buy",small shops put their order together,produce together,ship together......maybe it's a way,but it's a rapier.

I import steel stakes, steel pins and PVC caps direct from China. I have the customs thing down. The MDO prices have intrigued me.... but I haven't tried that yet. My pallets come wrapped and are insured, I have had nothing stolen and I don't buy a container load. I started with 3 pallets every three months, now I do 5 pallets. If someone wants a price on anything PM me.

premiercolour

Merchant Member

Maybe that was 1/1000 screen shops that you heard of. Rest went bankrupt or left in the dust. :wink:

This is how it goes; you buy 10; you save a few bucks. You buy 100 you save a few bucks x 100. That's a lot of savings vs you buy 10. Now when you buy 10000, there is a problem. It is either the company disappeared or the container comes but in a less grade quality. The vendor oversea buys from another company so he's not going to pay for the mistake his vendor made. You are out cost * 10000 if my high school math serves me right. Ok now the manufacturer wants to fix it; hey who's going to pay for the freight from USA back to China? Will this container ever be replaced or you are out of that container + the 2nd freight? What about the time you lost?

If you want to go direct, make sure you buy enough volume so the "real" manufacturer values you; don't want to mess with you. Make sure you have the money to back it up if the shipment don't come. Buy local so you can sue that company. Buy oversea, out of luck. And I think most of the Chinese vendor want money up front. Not that you can't do it; just I'd rather sit back and watch tv at home instead worrying the contain ever going to come!

Baz

For most shops it would be to much inventory to carry. Best to buy local and get whatever you need in less than 24hrs.

rparsons

We don't import banner from China, but we have imported other materials like rolls of magnets, sheets of chalkboard, and faux stainless rolls from china. We got fed up with mis-information (either intentional or through interpretation), late shipment times, inadequate palletization of the product, incomplete shipments, wrong items, etc . . . The list goes on. It is not worth the time or savings.