• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How many of you are running into commercial contractor license requirements to pull permits?

blufftonsignguy

We keep selling signs all over our state of Louisiana. I recently hit a snag pulling a permit. Parish says I need a contractor license. Any of you hav one?

I know in South Carolina and Georgia neither state has any requirements for a sign company to have a certification. Therefore they only require you to be registered as a business with the state. Some municipalities within each state will require engineering on some signs depending on size and location. As far as a commercial contractors license I have not ran across that yet

bmt Promotions

bmt Promotions
Not sure if this is good or bad but most of the time i am able to get the customer to get the permit. saves me time and money.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
In my area I need a contractor's license in order to pull a permit. At the discretion of the inspector, they reserve the right (via ordinance) to request engineering drawings, which they usually do for most signs bigger than 4x8s. Wall mount signs often need an engineering drawing specifying the wall conditions and fastening system. Basically, anything big or which cannot be seen (hidden fasteners, below grade foundations) will need an engineer's stamp of approval.

I mitigate the engineering costs by providing my engineer with drawings already spec'd. All he has to do is review them and stamp them. Not for the feint of heart, but saves money if you can do it. You can't just say you're using 1" bolts, you need a reference showing the pull strength and shear strength from a recognized testing lab in addition to demonstrating how the wall is engineered and by what method the load will be transferred to the ground, indicating structural component sizes and dimensions.

In my area, and in many others, this is a new trend. The laws have been on the books, but seldom enforced. When asked by the inspector, I would tell him what I was doing, and we would just use experience and common sense to determine whether it was good enough. Often I would just go a steel tube size up or throw an extra 1/2 yard of concrete in the hole. The advantage of using an engineer is they can save you material costs. The disadvantage is that they can be costly, especially if they need to produce the drawings.

What really sucks is who gets to slide by and who gets nailed every time. It really pays to be nice to your inspector!

fresh

the only licence we've ever been asked for is if we do electrical. and we don't do any electrical so I hand that off to the client's electrician.

we did get snagged once when we were subcontracting a rush job at a school. apparently in NJ there is a Public Works Contractor Licence that anyone working in a public building needs. The GC didn't think to ask if we had it, and since our work van was on site, we got fined. I'd never been asked for it before or else I would have obviously paid the fee. Now i know :)