• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How often do you replace/upgrade your spectrophotometer?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
So we’ve had our i1 for about 8 years. Still does what it needs to but just wondering if/when you know these things need an upgrade?

What new features do the updated models have? Can any automate the process(s)? Budget shouldn’t really be an issue so happy to take any recommendations. Ideally works with ONYX.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Since you have an X-Rite spectro, you can send it back to them for re-certification to bring it back into spec. Even the calibrators need calibration from time to time.
Which version of the i1 do you have?
I don't see enough difference between the 2 and 3 to justify an upgrade (larger aperture) unless something fails on our existing unit.

For automation, you'd need to grab an i1iO for your i1 or move to the i1iSis system.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I did see that, they’re meant to get factory calibrated every 2 years or so?

The current one is from before I started, the bag just says i1 pro so may be the first model.

I read the new(er) models might just be better at doing non-paper/rougher materials as the original ones were targeted towards “flat” surfaces like poster paper, digital print paper etc.

I did see that, they’re meant to get factory calibrated every 2 years or so?

The current one is from before I started, the bag just says i1 pro so may be the first model.

I read the new(er) models might just be better at doing non-paper/rougher materials as the original ones were targeted towards “flat” surfaces like poster paper, digital print paper etc.

X-Rite recommends annual re-certifications of the i1 Pro spectrophotometer measurement instrument. Not sure how many users actually follow through on that guidance.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
X-Rite recommends annual re-certifications of the i1 Pro spectrophotometer measurement instrument. Not sure how many users actually follow through on that guidance.

I’m going to assume it’s a very small % lol - assuming there’s a cost to it? They come with a pretty hefty price tag so I don’t see why people wouldn’t want to keep them in top condition.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I think they stay certified for a few years if you buy them new. Unless you're G7 certified or working with crazy picky clients, it should last you a while. At the end of the day, you're going to need to print a physical sample anyway.

Whatever you do, get the IO table. It's alot more money, but if you want your team to keep your equipment calibrated, that will save a ton of time.

Have you guys seen this:
https://measurecolormobile.com/buynow Pretty cool.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I’m going to assume it’s a very small % lol - assuming there’s a cost to it? They come with a pretty hefty price tag so I don’t see why people wouldn’t want to keep them in top condition.

Re-certification was USD$380 back in March 2018 when we got our last quote.

Jester

Slow is Fast
I suppose whether you replace or re-certify, and how often, really depends on how accurately you need to control your output colors.

If you are unsure whether you should send it in, for an informal check you could compare readings against a known good spectro, for example your tech's.

Have you guys seen this: https://measurecolormobile.com/buynow Pretty cool.
Another option is to purchase a Pantone Color Match Card for $14 and try out the new Pantone Connect app (same as x-rite Color-Eye) and see how its results compare with your i1. Given the quality of today's smartphone cameras it should be pretty accurate when using a fresh card. I just received my card and have played around with it some. In the first photo I've measured the card's envelope and a brand color from a business card. In the second photo I've tapped on the blue swatch and the app is showing me the color's properties.

What new features do the updated models have?
We are in the process of purchasing our first i1Pro for use in re-linearizing our existing canned printer profiles and making new ones from scratch. We've been holding off until our RIP supports the i1Pro3 because the "3" has an LED light source. This should give greater stability over time compared to the incandescent(?) light source in the earlier generations.

Attachments

• WIN_20201008_15_14_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201008_15_14_08_Pro.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20201008-151606_Firefox (002).jpg
    Screenshot_20201008-151606_Firefox (002).jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 107
So we’ve had our i1 for about 8 years. Still does what it needs to but just wondering if/when you know these things need an upgrade?

What new features do the updated models have? Can any automate the process(s)? Budget shouldn’t really be an issue so happy to take any recommendations. Ideally works with ONYX.

I updated mine when onyx had updates but at least every 6-12 months when I used onyx.

I have so many logged pantones I haven’t had to in a while.

ikarasu

I think they stay certified for a few years if you buy them new. Unless you're G7 certified or working with crazy picky clients, it should last you a while. At the end of the day, you're going to need to print a physical sample anyway.

Whatever you do, get the IO table. It's alot more money, but if you want your team to keep your equipment calibrated, that will save a ton of time.

Have you guys seen this:
https://measurecolormobile.com/buynow Pretty cool.
We have the new (3 years?) eye1 pro. We bought a color muse for our sales reps to get decent color scans in the field for $50...

It has been more consistent at measuring corsnthan the eye1 has. So I only hook the eye1 hp to profile, and I use the color muse to grab lab values for printing. It's cheap... We bought half a dozen of them for everyone.

Their latest app update sucks.... It's not as easy to get the lab values..still doable, but it's more geared toward paint matching....still doable though, just an extra click or two