• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Often to Lube Carriage Rods? HP700W

Hey everyone!

While my machine is printing fine, every so often it sounds a bit funny. The normal zwoop zwoop sound it makes when the carriage moves back and forth lowers in pitch for a few rounds before it goes back to normal.

Wondering if that is a sign the rods need to be cleaned/ oiled? Admittedly it's been a hot minute since I have done printer maintenance, but want to know if it may be a bigger issue or just a sticky roller?

I have a HP700W - hopefully this makes sense. How often does everyone do printer maintenance?

MikePro

lubing also doubles as cleaning. the more friction the more the parts will wear & any chatter is potential for odd results while printing. worst-case, you forget to do it for months, you'll just have to replace the pads that glide on the rail eventually.

never hurts to give a monthly drip & wipe, or every-other week.
its not like you can overdo it, and if you're in a pinch for a cheaper alternative to the OEM lube, i've always just used paper shredder oil as a substitute.

The 700 printer will alert you with a front panel icon when to lube the carriage rods. It is not a time-based maintenance item, it is based on usage - kind of like changing the oil in your car is based on the miles you have driven. not the date.