• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How powerful computer?

BigNate

you can struggle through with almost anything, just set the virtual memory up pretty high and set the printer to not start until it has received the entire job..... alternatively you could get the best gaming rig you can afford and never worry about lag in processing.

personally I feel my time is expensive and I prefer the 2nd option. unless you are printing to the lowest common denominator, don't make your purchases based on the lowest common denominator..... just because it CAN work and it has all the power you need, does not mean it has all the power you need or will work at the speed you would like.

Theflex

you can struggle through with almost anything, just set the virtual memory up pretty high and set the printer to not start until it has received the entire job..... alternatively you could get the best gaming rig you can afford and never worry about lag in processing.

personally I feel my time is expensive and I prefer the 2nd option. unless you are printing to the lowest common denominator, don't make your purchases based on the lowest common denominator..... just because it CAN work and it has all the power you need, does not mean it has all the power you need or will work at the speed you would like.
Okey, what specs on a computer to prefer?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you're just using it for the RIP and not designing on it:

CPU - The one with the highest clock speed within your budget. Cores don't matter unless you expect to be ripping multiple jobs at once.
Memory - 16GB or more
Storage - SSD for the RIP work folder and OS. HDD for longer term storage and backup.
Video Card - Contrary to popular belief, you don't need one unless you go with a processor that doesn't have integrated graphics. The RIP process is not parallelizable and therefore can't be processed on a GPU.

Theflex

CPU - The one with the highest clock speed within your budget. Cores don't matter unless you expect to be ripping multiple jobs at once.
Memory - 16GB or more
Storage - SSD for the RIP work folder and OS. HDD for longer term storage and backup.
Video Card - Contrary to popular belief, you don't need one unless you go with a processor that doesn't have integrated graphics. The RIP process is not parallelizable and therefore can't be processed on a GPU.
Okey, can you please write what to prefer in spec? like an exampel?

Theflex

A

Memory - 16GB or more
And if I understand what you are saying, a god graficcard isnt important.
CPU with high clockspeed
Memory - 16gb or more
Storge both SSD and HDD

netsol

KEEP IN MIND, all CPU's are not created equal.
my laptop is an I7 3rd or 4th generation with 4,cores
i setup a dozen dell micro form factor workstations this week. they were 13th generation I5's with 20 cores.
it getsharder to buy a BAD PC as time goes by.
we. still lead towards dell (no matter what happens, dell will still be answering the phone)

netsol

To me, multiple cores are important because in the old days, i would copy hdd of the old pc into TARGET directory of the new one (hdd space is cheap:!) easy to find the file you needed

these days, it makes more sense to virtualize the old pc, use some sort of vm player & just OPEN THE OLD PC anytime you need a file or can't remember how you did a conversion. a great way to make use of that cheap disk space. it's fairly easy to run a full windows backup of a pc as a virtual machine

Theflex

This is what I went for

HP Elitedesk 800
Intel Core i5-8500 | 32 GB DDR4 | 2 TB SSD | Windows 11 Prof
Intel UHD Graphics 630