• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to explain outsourcing?

Signarama Jockey

Something like "We've cultivated relationships with production facilities that do not deal directly with the public..."

I've seen some people tighten up a bit when outsourcing comes up, but I remind them that the price isn't any higher and that the product still comes with out guarantee.

I've never had a customer walk because they found out it was outsourced. I don't try to hide it anymore.

RabidOne

Most every shop of any size farms out some part of the production.
The shop I am in now has Sheetfed, digital, roll to roll, flatbed, CNC and any other kind of finishing you can think of including installation.
We still farm out a lot of stuff that is too high a volume, to pricey to finish in house or not cost effective. We are not shy about saying that we have trade partners that can do parts of the job more efficiently than we can to save the client money. In most cases customers are happy they do not have to chase multiple suppliers themselves. If Bob wants his banner flag $5 cheaper he can source it online, pay cash up front and hope he gets all the details right.
Or he can pay us to do that along with all the other things we do in house. But of course said in a way nicer way!

gnubler

Something like "We've cultivated relationships with production facilities that do not deal directly with the public..."

I've seen some people tighten up a bit when outsourcing comes up, but I remind them that the price isn't any higher and that the product still comes with out guarantee.

I've never had a customer walk because they found out it was outsourced. I don't try to hide it anymore.
I never did. I usually use terms like "B2B wholesaler" or "trade printer/fabricator".

Great feedback everyone, thank you. Especially the phrase about being able to save the customer money.

jochwat

Graphics Department
I never did. I usually use terms like "B2B wholesaler" or "trade printer/fabricator".

Great feedback everyone, thank you. Especially the phrase about being able to save the customer money.

Great question overall, gnubler, thanks for asking it! I've often wondered if there was a better way to explain how some of these jobs got done, without all my fumbling for the right words. Let me add my thanks to everyone as well with the great responses.

Evan Gillette

To customers who I know outsource things I just use the term outsource. For customers who likely don't understand that I usually refer to wholesalers as "industry partners". Often when status or location is being questioned I use terms that relate to the process being used like, "it's at the paint shop" or "it's in production with our laser cutter". When showing samples I often compare products that we do in-house vs things we can offer through partners as an upsell, for example, a vinyl banner taped to the front of a folding table vs a full print dye sub table drape. Often this leads to a better sale because you are comparing things that "you" offer so they still have the personal connection compared to shopping online. I also use the term wholesaling with a NEGATIVE connotation when I want to avoid a particular customer or product, for example, "we don't print business cards here, but I could order them wholesale if you need me to, but you could probably find a better deal online..."

Stacey K

I like making signs
Evan - I've used that exact line and it always ends with me making the business cards LOL Now, I only do cards for people who have done a good amount of business with me and if it's a quicky card.

jochwat

Graphics Department
Evan - I've used that exact line and it always ends with me making the business cards LOL Now, I only do cards for people who have done a good amount of business with me and if it's a quicky card.

I found a good card source and only offer to do them when it's in conjunction with another order (never just the cards themselves -- people in my area often ask for "oh just 50 or 100"). And I go with the "Quick Ship" option, which is one specific type of card stock, 4c on one or both sides (same price either way), and you're getting 1,000 cards minimum whether you use them or not. Has worked out well so far. Even toying with the idea of including them "free" with a brand bundle of like items. They're cheap enough to do so.

wonderings

For what we outsource, and what I did when in commercial print I would explain an outsourced job as going to a partner company that we have a relationship with for this type of work. I have never had any pushback when using the word "partner". A lot of the stuff that would be outsourced would be speciality stuff as well (in print) and I would also explain that because it was speciality we had partners that handled this unique option. Thankfully it is not asked too much, and also we don't have to outsource a whole lot.