• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to get this off??

abadsvt

We just removed some old vinyl off the side of a box truck and there is a "ghost" of the old vinyl. It doesn't look like oxiditation. I think it might glue that does not want to come off. If i rub my finger over it i barley feel it and its really smooth but not sticky. I have tried every remover i have and nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks

Josh

Attachments

• Ghost Images.jpg
    Ghost Images.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 57

MachServTech

We just removed some old vinyl off the side of a box truck and there is a "ghost" of the old vinyl. It doesn't look like oxiditation. I think it might glue that does not want to come off. If i rub my finger over it i barley feel it and its really smooth but not sticky. I have tried every remover i have and nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks

Josh

Its called the "original paint" that was protected by the vinyl....the other areas were not and weathered unevenly by comparison.

Repaint, buff or cover with new vinyl.

abadsvt

Thanks guys! That makes sence. Also thanks for the link to the "ghost off". I am definately going to look into that!

Josh

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
What did you remove the lettering with?
What is the halo around all the lettering? smeared adhesive or damage to the aluminum surface?

Mosh

B-B-b-Buffer. Take it to a B-b-Body shop if you have not done it b-b-before!!!!

Rustyrussell

https://www.austinsignco.com/
Weak paint

The paint on the aluminum trailers and box trucks almost always gets that. Good news is it will mellow out in time .