• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to go about a Copyright?

TheSnowman

I am about to start offering "apparel" for lack of a better term, to a few local merchants in my area, with different theme's and logo's for outdoor sports. This just kinda happened over time with something that I had already been creating for me and some friends whenever we did our "annual trips".

My question now is, if I sell this to local merchants, and for some reason the sales got bigger than I ever thought, how do I make sure that I'm covering my butt in two ways:

1.) How do I make sure no one else is using anything like this that could be flipped back at me as "I had that idea first, I'm gonna sue you!"

2.) How do I register it so that no one else can take my exact idea, and print their own stuff like this?

Just trying to think back to stuff that was a "fad" like if you remember all the "coed-naked" stuff. It's not like that, but it's the closest thing I can compare it to, because that had several different theme's, and that's kinda what this will be.

Like I kinda said, I don't look for this to become huge, for if for some reason it did, I wanted to have everything ready to go instead of having a harder time getting it setup later.

Last edited:

steve b

I think you are looking more into the copyright issue's.
Start reading up on the governments site for copyrights, or hire a lawyer

cptcorn

adad
Would be very tough to protect yourself... Since really all you have is an idea, and some artwork... Your artwork is definitely copyrighted, but there would be virtually impossible to prove it's -your- idea.

TheSnowman

I'm not so much worried about MY idea, as checking a way to find out if someone else already did it I guess. Is there a list online or something of registered businesses? I just don't want the "theme" to conflict w/ a name that's already in existance.

Or, tell me this those of you that have done this...would it make more sense to check it the best I can, and set up an LLC so that if for some reason something WOULD happen, it wouldn't make me lose my house or something if it just went totally wrong, and I'd just have to dissolve the LLC.

cptcorn

adad
I'm not so much worried about MY idea, as checking a way to find out if someone else already did it I guess. Is there a list online or something of registered businesses? I just don't want the "theme" to conflict w/ a name that's already in existance.

Or, tell me this those of you that have done this...would it make more sense to check it the best I can, and set up an LLC so that if for some reason something WOULD happen, it wouldn't make me lose my house or something if it just went totally wrong, and I'd just have to dissolve the LLC.

Contact a lawyer...

dortonracing

I have a question about the copyright stuff, I have guys wanting atv graphics and want there sponsorship logos on there, Is that safe to do?