• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to install these bay door wraps

Aelin

Hello Everyone!

Just looking for some helpful input on how to install wraps over these garage bay doors.

IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG

I will be using cast vinyl, Avery 1105MPI or 3MIJ180CV3 (not sure which yet) due to the recesses in the doors. I am just not sure if I should work the vinyl into all the recesses on the way down to avoid stretching, but distort the art somewhat, or if I should install it flat then heat and stretch into the recesses? The latter would causes less distortion, but I am concerned about long term quality and if the vinyl might come back up later. Could use 3M and primer on the recesses perhaps?

It may be difficult to see from the photos, but the large recesses go in about 1/2" and the small recesses go in about 1/4" or a little less.

Any thoughts are welcome.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Is it photographic image? Text? We've done large numbers and text on these type doors, and we account for the amount of recess, add that to the overall height, and work them in as we go down. If it was me doing a full photographic image, I would probably do the same...stretch the image enough to account for the recesses and work them in as you go.
Any way you do it, these are a PITA.

Aelin

Is it photographic image? Text? We've done large numbers and text on these type doors, and we account for the amount of recess, add that to the overall height, and work them in as we go down. If it was me doing a full photographic image, I would probably do the same...stretch the image enough to account for the recesses and work them in as you go.

Yes it will be a full wrap, vector artwork. There will be cars on the artwork so it will show quite a bit if the images are distorted, but that would be a great idea to counteract it. Thank you.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I would make 040 Panels to cover them with. It would come out less expensive to rivet flat panels over it instead of wrapping the channels.