• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to make "silkscreen look" halftone in illustrator.

milchad

Can anybody explain or point to a link on how to create the following halftone effect in Illustrator CS5? Thanks!
CT HALFTONE.jpg

John Butto

Maybe P3 would make a video if we were lucky.
Make your color gradient in Photoshop, go to filters / pixelate / color haftone
you can even place it into illustrator and create a vector and make it any color

JBusch260

I've done the Halftone option in Photoshop, then messed around with Live Trace options in Illustrator. More often than not, it looks pretty well done. Although, in agreement with posts above, a P3 tutorial would, and always is, useful and welcome.

omgsideburns

Alrighty, It's probably not the smoothest way but it only takes a few steps to do.

So first step would be create your gradient. Seems to work best from BLACK to WHITE at 100% transparency. If there is transparency, it makes the halftones transparent. Then we will apply the halftone effect in the Appearance pane.
Halftones1.jpg

Since this is a raster effect, its scaling is based on your "Document Raster Effect" settings resolution, as well as the following settings. Make sure you set the angles of each color channel to the same value, you can just copy the default value in the first box to the rest of them. This keeps all of the color halftones on top of each other so that you don't get 4 color halftones, just black. Adjusting the radius value will change the size of the halftone dots.
Halftones2.jpg

Now you'll need to Expand the appearance of the halftone gradient. It will no longer be vector after this.
Halftones3.jpg

Then run your Auto Trace to vectorize it. It may take some tweaking to keep the dots round depending on your resolution settings, etc. Make sure you have "Ignore White" checked in your auto trace settings so that you're creating a one color halftone. The "One Color Logo" setting automatically does that, and may work for your needs. You've just gotta play until you get what you want. When you're finished, Expand the appearance of the trace to get it back to a vector object.
Halftones4.jpg

Does that make sense to everyone? :corndog:

JBusch260

Thank you for the shot by shot tutorial omgsideburns! :U Rock:

MrSalumi, his tutorial was all done in Illustrator.

omgsideburns

MrSalumi asked before he realized it, but it is very simple in to do it in Photoshop, assuming we are staying in Photoshop. It's just one step. Just make sure you set your angles to the same value in each channel to keep the halftones one color.

1. PS-Halftone1.jpg 2. PS-Halftone2.jpg 3. PS-Halftone3.jpg

milchad

Thanks for the tips.

I never reported back on the thread, but here is the outcome and the customer is happy.
halftone.jpg

nikdoobs

I see you've already completed this project but for future reference Astute Graphics' Phantasm plugin has some really cool effects that give you a lot more control over the outcome of the halftone. You can even do colored image halftones. Its worth the $50 if you do this kind of stuff often.