• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to Process this Image for the FX?

stitchup

I know for may, this is pretty basic stuff but, as I've been away from my Gerber FX for a long while and when I do use it, I'm printing spot colour labels, I'm stuck :oops:

I've been asked to produce some stickers for the rear end of motorhomes.

This is the image I've been sent.

Smiley_Face_by_Junior1290.jpg

It's the gradation from yellow to white in the cheeks that I have trouble with!

I've tried importing the jpeg into Composer 3 but instantly the picture loses it's vibrancy - I'm obviously doing someting wrong!
Would some kind soul help me with step by step instructions :D ?

My customer wants 150 of these at 25cms diameter.

Many thanks

John

Last edited by a moderator:

CanuckSigns

Sorry I can't help, but I would be interested to know as well, we use our edge for a lot of solid spot colour printing and things like this would be done on our versacamm, but if I knew how to print simple things like this on the edge it would open up alot more opportunities!

edgette

Why not just redraw it? I wouldn't think it would take more than 15 minutes and you can get the colors to pop how you want.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
  • Draw the elements of the image with your shapes tool and Bezier pen. including a hidden circle that is filled with Spot Yellow.
  • Set the fills to Spot Black and Spot Yellow. Set all Black fills to Overprint and compound them.
  • Draw a circle on each cheek to correspond to the outside of the gradient.
  • Set a radial gradient fill in each with a Spot Yellow fill running from 100% to 0%. Compound the gradient to the outer Spot Yellow circle.

Attachments

• smiley assign colors.jpg
    smiley assign colors.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 85
  • smiley vectors.jpg
    smiley vectors.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 115
  • smiley filled.jpg
    smiley filled.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

royster13

I am curious why you want to print them on your FX....What would your costs be doing them in-house versus outsourcing...

CanuckSigns

I am curious why you want to print them on your FX....What would your costs be doing them in-house versus outsourcing...

for 150 pcs, we would also look into printing these in house. I'm guessing you are looking at 2 hours start to finish. if there were more than 1000 of them, we would look into outsourcing.

royster13

But i am still thinking outsourcing will be less than the sum of the parts....2 hours has to be at least 180.00 and I can buy them finished for less than that..

stitchup

Thanks for the help Fred, much appreciated.

To be honest, I hadn't thought of out-sourcing. However, I should be able to do these simple tasks.

Thanks again.

John